Batch Ferm'd out in 5 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzoard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had a batch of 9L of supermarket apple juice ferment from 1060 to 1000 in 5 days! The cider's pretty murkey, seemed to be a lot of gas when I took some into my samle tube.

I presume this is very fast. I added twice the amount of yeast as my last batch had fermentation problems. I presume this was mistake?

I added a glug of honey to see what would happen, will see in a few days but think I need to consider cold racking shortly.

Is the fast ferm due to the large amount of yeast?

Edit: I used the same type of yeast as a previous batch, just more. Atmospheric temperature is approx the same as previous batch.

no, it is not the yeast. Yeast multiply, so chances are, regardless how how much you put in initially, both batches ended up with the same amount of yeast at the end.

The question is, how warm of environment do you have it in? Somebody in the mead forum is having the same problem as you, and it was because it got hot. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/fermenting-too-fast-161631/

Don't cold rack. You can go ahead and rack if you want to, but let it be in a secondary container at least two weeks before you consider cold racking. It would do it some good to age, so let it take it's time even though things seem to be going fast.

Thanks for the advice! I'll wait to see if the honey makes any change and if not, syphon to another demijohn with and airlock for a few weeks.

I kept it in my kitchen, same place as last time and it didn't ferment for ages.

Wow, my first reaction was did you break they hydrometer and get a false reading?
If not, that is a pretty quick fermentation.
Best of luck.

Back