Bass Fishing Tournament - Recipe Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrelsien

Reaction score
Alright alright, So I just officially announced the dates on my annual fishing tournament. I've decided to brew either 5 or 10 gallons and keg it for the occasion. Was thinking of calling it "Pontoon Ale." But, I'm still trying to decide what kind of ale to brew. The tournament is the weekend of April 8-10th. And we're all hoping the weather will be enjoyable by then in Southeastern NC. So it will be a long day of spring sunshine(ideally), fishing and... drinking.

There will be 12 people. We start the tournament off with a brew first thing at 6:45 am, so an easy drinking beer that goes good in the morning would be a plus(but for years we've used Busch Light, so clearly not too picky). I don't want something with over-baring flavors that you would get sick of drinking after 3 or 4, seeing as we would like to be drinking it all day.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Actually I have a Kolsch kegged right now, waiting for my tap to come in, but if its good I may consider making more. I think the Blonde would probably be good in the morning. I've never actually tried Bass Ale, would be funny. Might pick up a 6er and try it out.
Thanks for the suggestions. Ya'll keep em coming. I may brew two different 5gal batches, maybe Morning/Afternoon beer?

How about two beers? A breakfast stout and then your lawnmower beer for the rest of the day. That is how we do it at our tailgates.

I'm a dummy- I thought you were looking for ways to cook bass, and needed some recipes. :eek:

A cream ale is a great idea, or a Mexican cervesa if you can lager.

Awesome suggestions, I think I might go with either a Cream or Blonde for the AM. I like the suggestion of a Cerveza, but theres just not time to lager :( (maybe next year). Still trying to decide what for the PM, and I gotta start soon since we are T - 35 days(1.5 week Primary, 2 Week Secondary, and 1 week keg). Gotta start brewing this monday. Still appreciate any suggestions as I havent gotten my ingredients. Thanks Again for everyone's help deciding.

Whats a lawnmower beer?

You know how you mow the grass and it's 90 degrees? And when you're done you run inside and grab an ice cold beer that you chug?

You don't do that with a Bigfoot barleywine- you do it with a Corona or a Bud Light. Something pretty low ABV, quaffable, and good served ice cold. It's especially good for chugging after mowing the lawn- hence "lawnmower beer".

I saw the title and all I could think of was this:

I bet someone out there has tried this on a beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I got it now. I know the feeling oh so well... when the beer goes down in 3 gulps and your looking for the next before you even finish saying "aaaaaahhhh." If the weather is nice and warm, that would be the ideal beer that I want. I see that the Saint Arnold Lawn Mower is a Kolsch. I actually have 5 gal of Kolsch kegged right now(the tap is ON SCHEDULE for delivery tomorrow, happy happy joy joy). So if I tap into that an am just blown away by its drinkability, I will likely go with that for my Sunshine beer.

Still teetering between Blonde and Cream ale for AM though... I feel as if the Cream ale may only be good for 1 or 2 beers before I start wishing for something with less flavor. It has been a little while since I had a blonde, but I don't recall it having too overpowering of flavor. Anyone agree with that?

Is there a way to maybe tone-down the cream flavor, to have more of just a light ale, with hints of cream?

Again thanks to all, I really am looking forward to the tournament, and can't get my mind off of planning, we are building an authentic outhouse at the camp site this week, should be fun.

NO MORE SCALING, CUTTING and GUTTING for ME!!

Well before my time, but saw it on TV the other day before that behind the scenes episode.

Haha, I got it now. I know the feeling oh so well... when the beer goes down in 3 gulps and your looking for the next before you even finish saying "aaaaaahhhh." If the weather is nice and warm, that would be the ideal beer that I want. I see that the Saint Arnold Lawn Mower is a Kolsch. I actually have 5 gal of Kolsch kegged right now(the tap is ON SCHEDULE for delivery tomorrow, happy happy joy joy). So if I tap into that an am just blown away by its drinkability, I will likely go with that for my Sunshine beer.

Still teetering between Blonde and Cream ale for AM though... I feel as if the Cream ale may only be good for 1 or 2 beers before I start wishing for something with less flavor. It has been a little while since I had a blonde, but I don't recall it having too overpowering of flavor. Anyone agree with that?

Is there a way to maybe tone-down the cream flavor, to have more of just a light ale, with hints of cream?

Again thanks to all, I really am looking forward to the tournament, and can't get my mind off of planning, we are building an authentic outhouse at the camp site this week, should be fun.

I'm thinking that perhaps you don't know what a cream ale is? It doesn't taste like cream at all!

It's a super light adjunct-filled ale that is very much like a light lager. It's lighter than a blonde ale in my opinion. Here's a BJCP description of a kolsch, cream ale, and blonde ale: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php

Back