Basket lined with SS mesh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrecked

Reaction score
Are there any basket users out there that have considered lining the basket with SS mesh and doing away with the cloth bag? I have been trying to figure out how I might do this. Forming the mesh to the basket would be easy, but how would you attach it to the basket? Maybe silver solder?

My cloth bag drives me nuts when I stir the grains at mash in. It always gets wrapped around my paddle and ends up getting pulled off the rim of the kettle.

Silver solder would likely work well, or you could lace it to the basket with fine stainless wire.

3 metal binder clips will fix a bag securely to the kettle rim in my experience.

Also, stirring across the diameter of the pot will help to keep the bag open and sitting nice in the bottom of he kettle. Stirring in circles seems to make a bag want to twist up.

Is you bag to big, to small?

I have a 44qt Bayou Classic kettle converted to an e-kettle. With the basket out the bag is perfect. With the basket in place the bag is way big. I've tried the binder clips and they help, but I still have a hard time getting a good stir. I like your idea of using small stainless wire.

I was also thinking a bag with a round bottom instead of an envelope shape might work. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no sewing skills.

If using the basket, the bag should be sized to the basket with enough extra to overlap the kettle rim and be clipped to the kettle rim.

What size bag are you using?

If using the basket, the bag should be sized to the basket with enough extra to overlap the kettle rim and be clipped to the kettle rim.

What size bag are you using?

I honestly have no idea what size the bag is. I'll get it measured and measure out the basket and post it shortly.

Are there any basket users out there that have considered lining the basket with SS mesh and doing away with the cloth bag? I have been trying to figure out how I might do this. Forming the mesh to the basket would be easy, but how would you attach it to the basket? Maybe silver solder?

My cloth bag drives me nuts when I stir the grains at mash in. It always gets wrapped around my paddle and ends up getting pulled off the rim of the kettle.

I honestly don't think you could get fine enough mesh that you could ditch a well made voille bag. IMO you would spend a lot of time trying to get it right and you would have a ton of trub left over. I could definitely be wrong too so I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I'm thinking if you had a bag the right size it wouldn't be an issue. I had a bag made by Wilserbrewer and I can't say enough about how great this bag is. It was originally sized for my keggle, I almost broke my back a few times lifting the keg so I ended up trying to find a new aluminum 15 gallon pot with the same diameter just so I could keep the bag. I have left over Bed bath beyond bags, bags from Marshall's and etc. The weave is slightly bigger and it actually makes a huge difference in trub so I can't say enough about a properly sized voille bag.

This one does not get all wrapped up either or out of sorts because it fits!

Sorry for the long winded response!

Latest posts

Back