Custom Stainless Mesh Basket Dimension Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm just not liking the basket that came with my 15G Spike Solo+ system as my efficiency is all over the place with it. I can't repeat a batch if my life depended on it. I've bought my own mill (Monster Mill 3 Roller), I've adjusted grain crush, I've tried all the tips/tricks mentioned in the Spike owners thread on here. I've given it a year to try and iron things out and with no progress and I'm just over it. That being said, I am going to buy a custom stainless mesh basket from Utah Biodiesel and would like you all's thoughts on the dimensions.

As mentioned, I have a 15 gallon Spike Solo+ kettle. That kettle's highest TC port is centered at 4.5" from bottom of kettle. I plan to have the bottom of the basket be supported by 4 legs that put the bottom of the basket at 5 inches from bottom of the kettle. This leave about 4.2 gallons of space under the bottom of the basket which in my mind is no big deal, since there's roughly 6.3 gallons of dead space with current Spike basket. I plan to have the height of the basket sides be 14 inches, which should leave about 0.4 inches from top of the kettle.

My main question is what should I make the diameter? The kettle has a ID of 15.8 inches and I was considering making the diameter of the basket 15 inches, but would like you all's opinion if 0.4 inches around the basket is enough space. I imagine so because in true BIAB brewing there really isn't any space in between bag and the wall of the mash tun, but I would like input on that thought process.

I recirculate during the mash through a Loc-Line system above the wort and simultaneously though the whirlpool port on the side (4.5" from the bottom). I do this in hopes of keep grain bed temps consistent as well as temp readings from thermowell in bottom consistent.

So any thoughts/suggestions? I'd appreciate any feedback especially if there is something I'm overlooking here. I've attached the Spike diagram for their 15g kettles just for reference. It does not have markings for the TC ports though.

Attachments

• 15G Kettle Dimensions.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 15
Back