Basic question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbo404

Reaction score
I made a Cider from the apples I bought on my honeymoon. I plan to keep it and open it on our first anniversary. Can I keep it in its primary fermentation jar for a year or should i bottle it at some point and keep it that way?

You really need to bottle it to prevent infections. It gets better with age that way too.

Fermenters have a relatively large headspace, and don't seal well enough.
Too much time in the fermenter doesn't make it better either, as it needs to be removed from the yeast when it's done fermenting. Up to 2-3 months is fine, but not much longer.

Alright, how long should I let it ferment for? Just untill the hydrometer stops moving? Like a beer?

Ferment until the gravity is stable for 1-2 weeks, and you've reached your expected final gravity or thereabout. Similar to beer, yes.

If this is a relatively small batch don't take samples too often, or you're gonna lose too much end product. I wouldn't even touch it for 1-2 months after pitching yeast and witnessing a healthy fermentation. ;)

P.S. I edited my previous post, added some extra thoughts.

It's a 1 gallon batch.

you 'must' not think much of your significant other...lol

but i'd say yeah, as soon as it's done fermenting...prime it with carbing sugar, and get it bottled...apple juice doesn't like oxygen...unless you like the taste of brown apples....

Be aware that fully fermented cider might be a bit tart because all (or most) of the sugar will have been converted to alcohol and CO2. So it might not end up as the delightful romantic drink you envisage.

You can deal with this by adding sugar then heat pasteurise to stop refermentation, or add non fermentable sweetener, etc. In your case (and the easiest), it might be worthwhile planning to add sugar or syrup (50/50 sugar and water... or perhaps a romantic sugar cube) or extra apple juice or concentrate just before drinking. Alternatively if you want it sweet in the bottle, add a non fermentable sweetener (not sugar) to your preferred taste before you bottle. Stevia, Splenda, Xylitol etc all work O.K. but can have some taste or other slight disadvantages.

There are other ways to deal with this but they can be a bit complex and possibly not worth the effort in your case. I have uses Xylitol with some success (it is most like sugar in taste but can be toxic to dogs). Others might chime in with their views on what sweeteners work best for them.

you 'must' not think much of your significant other...lol

but i'd say yeah, as soon as it's done fermenting...prime it with carbing sugar, and get it bottled...apple juice doesn't like oxygen...unless you like the taste of brown apples....
I see what you did there.

Latest posts

Back