Basic Electric System steps? Link please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PricePeeler

Reaction score
Could someone please direct me to a thread or individual that is very knowledgeable with electric brew systems. I want to start by converting a 1/2 barrel to a keggle for a HLT. Would love to continue building from there.

I need a great DIYer, a mentor, anyone please help.
I am tired of googling without finding exactly what I am looking for.
Also, some of the posts I find are from years ago. Blogs I find want to sell me systems in the thousands.
I need to know how to modify a keg and how to correctly setup the electrical.

Thank you,
Price

this is where you will find what you are looking for, find a project on here that matches your ideal and then either ask the builder or post questions in this forum. read the electric brewing primer there in the stickies.

you could probably go pretty cheap, i always point people to the still dragon diy controller since it's cheap and simple. this would mean you would be using a single vessel system - probably Brew in a bag or mashing in a cooler and using the half barrel to heat water and the boil.

to ballpark a simple BIAB system, assuming you have the keg.

220 heating element: 30 including shipping
still dragon kit: 35 including shipping
15 feet of 8/4 romex - 25 dollars
spa panel with gfci - 75
plug for spa panel and still dragon panel - 50
weldless ball valve - 35
pick up tube made from copper pipe - 4 dollars

you have to run wire capable of carrying 50 amps to where you brew - I used 4 gauge aluminum wire at 1 dollar a foot, it was the cheapest option. i had to run mine 50 feet, so it was 50 dollars and change, plus ant oxidant paste, hangers, and all the other stuff.

I suspect that you could do this all for under 300 bucks if you budget properly and have all the tools you would need.

First... determine if you have an existing 30a or 50a circuit available. If not, find out if you have space in your main panel for a 2 pole breaker..
Get situated with a GFCI spa panel either inline with your new circuit or as an inline portable module that will plug in to your existing circuit.
Think more about what you'd eventually like to do with the system, e.g. how automated are you hoping to get, etc.

The still dragon kit linked is essentially a throttle for an electric element. I'd recommend starting with a simple PID/SSR combo for a small price premium which gives you the ability to learn PID programming and also be able to set temp targets so you don't have to sit there babysitting the thermometer.

Appreciate the responses.
Not sure exactly what automatic means Bobby M. I thought there would be a temp controller that I would just set. That is throttle, literally On/Off? PID makes adjustments, can you explain it in brewer terms.

Just wanting to have precise temp and liquid volume control on HLT. I don't have one , just SS Turkey fryer pot and I HEAT water to approx temp. Would love to continue from there with half barrel mash tun setup and kettle.
Kind of looking for simple lower cost (I know it's not cheap), just want to do it the right/safe way.

Just wanting to take my all grain to next level.

Thank you,
Price

Take a look at the automated brewing sub-forum and you'll see what Bobby is talking about. Literally every aspect of brewing can and has been automated. If you think you'll go that route start with components that can be expanded on. I decided to do exactly that and went with a BrewTroller setup. I can added volume control, liquid flow control, hop additions. It also controls my fermentation chamber and kegerator. I'd echo Bobby's recommendation of a PID and SSR as a great spot to start. I love my setup but it's not a job for the faint of heart. I've spent years busing it and I'm still adding to it. On the other hand, the still dragon controller merely throttles the current to the element with no regard to temperature, that's where you come in; constantly fiddling to maintain temps. Not an easy task, so difficult it takes a complicated algorithm for the PID to do it. With a PID or controller that utilizes a PID loop (brewtroller, BCS, etc) you set the desired temp and the PID with temperature sensors will control a signal to a solid state relay (SSR) that will turn the electricity on and off thousands a times to regulate the temps. It doesn't adjust the power but turns it on and off quickly to maintain the set point. You've got a few decisions to make but I guarantee you'll wish you did it sooner, and you WILL add more features :)

In simple terms. A VSSR kit like the one stilldragon sells is like the knob on your kitchen stove burner. It sets heat output. A PID/SSR combo in a project box is like paying the neighbor kid to stand in front of your stove watching the thermometer and he'll start turning the flame down a little more and more as the target temp is approached and finally shutting it off when the target is reached.

Thanks for all the info, I have been reading then absorbing. Absolutely want a temperature controller, not just an off on switch. PID with SSR a must. Prob will just start with HLT and expand...quickly!
Badnews, I read your control box build..nice work. Thinking I could do that for just the HLT, then expand. I am pretty handy, the electronics should work in a partial build?
GAPTOOTH...you are just some kind of showoff??....nice setup.. :)
Thanks runningwierd for the simple version.

I have not found the best answer to keeping the HLT temp uniform, hand stir? It's not boiling, so no water movement...heard of paddle stir, pumps, and air stones.

Thanks,

If you do your planning, building the panel for future expansion is pretty easy and is a great idea. Here's the thing to think about - if you put some of your components inside the panel and then go to cut new holes down the road, you're going to have a lot of metal dust to deal with and the need to avoid wires etc. If you're the technically / design minded type person, I'd suggest laying everything out and cutting all the holes. Tape them off from the inside, and when it comes time to install your new components, you're ready to rock.

Good luck in your future adventures into e-brewing!

I have not found the best answer to keeping the HLT temp uniform, hand stir? It's not boiling, so no water movement...heard of paddle stir, pumps, and air stones.

Thanks,

I use a small pond pump in the HLT I got it for 4-5 bucks online, provides more than enough water movement

Back