Basement brewery flooring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
This past Saturday I just ripped a wall down into the room that used to be the back of some in-wall reef tanks and basement storage. I have ordered a bunch of stuff (kettles/control panel/etc.) for what will soon be the new bar/brewery. I'm going to put up some framing for a couple of walls this coming weekend but am kind of stuck on what flooring to put in there.

I have a plastic utility sink in there which will be replaced with a stainless one but that is the only drain in the room so there is no floor drain. Therefore the only water/wort on the floor will be accidents maybe while switching hoses and forgetting to close a ball valve or similar. I was going to put in an epoxy floor like some have in their garages but have read that this may not be a good idea as hot liquids may cause the flooring to release in sections. It's not a huge room so I could tile it I guess but not sure that's ideal either. I do plan on a wall of time behind the kettles so maybe that's the thing to do? SWMBO said I should just stain the concrete that's in their now but not sure of that either.

What did you do, or what have you seen done for basement brewery floors?

Your GF has a valid point. If you have concrete floors, either stain and wax them, or just wax right over the concrete. Looks great and is cost effective. Also floor wax isn't meant to be a permanent sealing solution. So just wax once a year or two to keep them shining and you will be golden. No harm in hurting a 'temporary' floor sealer.... We use wax in most commercial settings because it will inevitably take a beating and is cheap and easy to use. And makes it shine like glass.....

:mug:

I brew on my porch which is tongue and groove 2x4's so I can't comment on my "basement brewery" floor. The basement looks like it was stained or painted decades ago.

As to what you do, it depends on what you want. For easy clean up I would use a glossy epoxy coating for the area of the brewery. I have heard a lot of differing things on basement floor finishings including not doing something waterproof on the entire floor since it might try to "float" and crack if the water table raised too high.

I used the vinyl tiles with the adhesive backing. They are durable, affordable, easy to install, easy to replace, and actually look decent if you take your time and install them correctly. Best of all I didnt have to level my older basement floor.

For sure just doing something to the concrete would be easiest. I have no experience with acid washing is it a DIY thing? I think it would allow for a wide color choice.

I'd want to put some kind of color on the floor before polishing/waxing but does that make the floor dangerously slippery? I'm kind of going for a glossy gray/black/stainless bling look so shiny floor would probably fit in well.

As a professional flooring installer with 21 years experience I'd say your only realistic options are Non self adhering vinyl tile, VCT (Vinyl comp tile), ceramic tile, or stained, epoxied, painted or bare concrete. I'd not recommend self adhering tile, wood of any type, laminate and obviously no carpet.

If you can soak it in horse piss for a month, rinse it off and its fine than use it. If you have doubts than don't!

Roadie said:
For sure just doing something to the concrete would be easiest. I have no experience with acid washing is it a DIY thing? I think it would allow for a wide color choice.

I'd want to put some kind of color on the floor before polishing/waxing but does that make the floor dangerously slippery? I'm kind of going for a glossy gray/black/stainless bling look so shiny floor would probably fit in well.

Yes acid staining is easy for a DIY project. Simply spray or brush it on let it dry then wash the residue off. Make sure it's an acid stain you use not an acrylic stain. Acid is the only true drain for already cured concrete and is permanent. Acrylic will wear off.

As a professional flooring installer with 21 years experience I'd say your only realistic options are Non self adhering vinyl tile, VCT (Vinyl comp tile), ceramic tile, or stained, epoxied, painted or bare concrete. I'd not recommend self adhering tile, wood of any type, laminate and obviously no carpet.

If you can soak it in horse piss for a month, rinse it off and its fine than use it. If you have doubts than don't!

^^Listen to this guy. I did floors for a number of years, and for what your looking for, there are options, and he listed them. Nothing else is really going to work.

Thanks for all the advice. Staining the concrete has my interest now but finding a detailed guide is proving challenging. Anyone know of a website that covers it correctly in detail

If $ isn't an issue, epoxy with curb at the corners. Run it a foot or so up the wall to a trim piece. Easy to clean

I'm not sure a "glass" floor finish is ideal, it could turn into a skating rink when wet...

Cheers!

Wheeeeeeeee!!! Whump!!!!!!!!!

Lol I work at a school and I always here how wax will make it slippery! I think people associate a high gloss or shine with slickness for whatever reason. Also, if you think about it logically, why would a company make a floor finish that would make people prone to slips? Sorry, I am not trying to force wax on anyone but just wanted you to know. Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

Although I really like the look of the acid staining I looked at the floor again and it has some stains which I don't feel like taking the time to completely remove. I think VCT is the front runner right now. I can easily get a light gray color that fits my rough vision for the space.

There is also the epoxy coating from Home Depot or Lowes. Just roll it on and then sprinkle the texture chips in. I did my garage floor with it and it turned out good.

I've looked at that but to do it right you are supposed to really put the surface so the epoxy has something to stick to. They have a machine that shoots bb's at the floor to do that. It seemed move involved than what I initially thought. The vinyl tiles seem like a good solution and plan to look at the product in store and make a decision.

I'm in the planning stages of finishing off the basement, and am planning a lot of the same stuff. What's the size of your brewery room?

I've used the machines that shoot BB's against the floor before epoxy is applied and I would not want to do it in my basement. I would acid wash the floor and go with epoxy.

Ttownbrewer said:
I'm in the planning stages of finishing off the basement, and am planning a lot of the same stuff. What's the size of your brewery room?

Relatively small at 11.5 x 11.5 and still need to put up a couple walls and box furnace out.

I am working on my basement brewery space (7.5" x10"). My floors are currently painted & painted POORLY. I started using a chemical stripper but did not like the results. Then I moved on to a diamond wheel on my angel grinder. That worked pretty well, but was messy. I finally decided just to cover the whole space with a mat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor-...i_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.Uo0dVuJEk70

I do not have a floor drain in the space, so what ever spills I will be mopping up.:(

VCT is an excellent choice! Install per instructions on adhesive bucket. Wait a week after finishing install before waxing. This will allow any remaining moisture from the adhesive to evaporate and work it's way out. Then wax and seal.

hs1149 said:
I am working on my basement brewery space (7.5" x10"). My floors are currently painted & painted POORLY. I started using a chemical stripper but did not like the results. Then I moved on to a diamond wheel on my angel grinder. That worked pretty well, but was messy. I finally decided just to cover the whole space with a mat. http://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor-7-5-ft-x-17-ft-Coin-Commercial-Grade-Slate-Grey-Garage-Floor-Cover-and-Protector-GF75CN717SG/203450687?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203450687&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=203450687&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.Uo0dVuJEk70 I do not have a floor drain in the space, so what ever spills I will be mopping up.:(

I used a similar product from Lowe's but part of one tile goes underneath the next so spills don't travel straight through. It was the easiest to install and the floor didn't have to be perfectly flat plus it provides a little cushion underfoot.

Back