Base malts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hetuck

Reaction score
A quick question I asked in another thread.......does Vienna malt have enough diastatic power to convert when used with Caramel malts or should I include some Pale malt as a base to ensure good startch-to-sugar conversion? I'm working on a new recipe for Chrismas Brew and would like to leave the Pale malt out if I can.

Also......here comes question #2.....
I want to use oats for the silky mouthfeel in the finished product. Is it 100% necessary for the oats to mash in my tun? OR can I cook them in a seperate pot, strain and pour the oat water into the boil kettle?

Discuss, Gents :mug:

Vienna will convert. It can be used as a base malt for your brew. Some folks say mash longer. I have never had a problem. I have been using it a lot.

I always mash my rolled oats. I don't know why you would deal with them in a seperate pot. Space issue or what?

Any malt with over 35 DP will convert it's self. Crystal is already converted but will take up space in the mash tun and dilute DP. Most Vienna is probably over 90 DP so it can convert a small percentage of adjunct grains.

Conversion it one thing but fermentability is another. Low DP will need more time to reach desired fermentability. Pros will adjust mash times for the current grain lot's DP.

I was going to use a sperarate pot for the oats to avoid the potential for a stuck sparge. This is also going to be my first all-grain batch.

A lot of people say not to use instant oatmeal but they sell it at the homebrew shop. I figured it would give my beer an ultra silky feel if I prepared the oats in a separate pot with an over abundance of water.

Thanks for the word on the Vienna. That'll be my base.

You'll want to mash the oats, they need conversion to really work right in the beer. You can use instant oats but make sure it only has oats in it, no salt, no flavorings etc.

I would not worry about sticking the sparge with the pound or less that you will likely use. I use the big tube of "quick" oats from the store.

Got a recipe?

AG is not nearly as scary as it sounds... come on in, the water is nice!

Not yet. When I taste the final product and it comes out good I'll be glad to share it:)

Back