Base light dry malt questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustoleum

Reaction score
Ok so I'm building a 10gal AG setup "Kal clone" so for the time being its extract for me.
I want to buy 1 kind of dry malt extract be it Pilsen or light bulk 50# sack
Now knowing that. I need help figuring out the types and amounts of specialty grains needed to make the different types of extracts to make the light,amber,dark,extra dark malts?

For almost a year now I have been brewing with lme every 2 or 3 weeks and would like to switch to dry for various reasons.

I have attempted a search but this darn iPad stops the search every time I type a letter:drunk:

Dry malt extract is hygroscopic. I wants to grab water out of the air and when it does it clumps up and gets hard. When your humidity goes up in summer I would expect this to become a big mess. It's better to buy DME as you need it unless you can store it in a sealed container.

Briess had a listing on their website showing the percentages of different malts that go into the different extracts. It was difficult to find buy if you keep digging it will show up.

Just store it dry in well sealed plastic bags. To add an extra layer, stick the bags in a bucket with a tight lid.

Since you seem to use a lot of it, see if you can get in on a group bulk buy. The bulk DME is very reasonably priced, like under $2 a pound. Beats the $4 from your LHBS.

Either get Pilsen or light DME. You can make anything out of that.

vacuum sealing and storing in buckets with gamma seal lids is the way it will be stored. I will be buying it in a group buy so yes the price is cheap.
I have used both dry and liquid in the past but its cheaper and lasts longer if I go dry.
Proper storage is not the issue for me just wondering what it would take to make the different types of malt out of it.
I will dig into the Briess sight and see what I can find.

Or convert / redesign the recipes from AG or PM to Extract from the ground up.

Anyone building recipes from kits knows that adding malts like "Amber DME" is a pretty vague and arbitrary ingredient anyway. Much better to use light DME and steep more grains instead.

vacuum sealing and storing in buckets with gamma seal lids is the way it will be stored.

I vacuum seal mine as well. Any benefit of cooling or storing in the fridge or does vacuuming do enough?

I use extra light plain DME for light lager colored beers. Plain light DME for when I want that amber orange color for pale ales,IPA's,etc. Just build the recipe using the right DME to get the color/flavors desired. Beersmith2 is a great tool that can really help with this. Especially when you use steeping grains,or go partial boil partial mash biab like I did. Way more control,& you're still using a couple pounds of extract to get about half the fermentables. My brews def got more interesting with BS2 & PM.

Back