barleywine taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Grabbed a 6 of Sierra nevada Bigfoot barleywine style ale last week and was quite suprised by the taste. Not going to be judgemental, but its the only 6 i ever chucked out. Is this what barleywine is supposed to taste like, or is it just the typical sierra nevada heavy hops use?

Threw it out? May the beer-gods smite you presently.

If you have a decent bottle shop around, find a couple year old Bigfoot. Different animal, much smoother, more complex malt character.

Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't liked it. Granted, the last time I tried it was 5 years ago and well before I started brewing, but it tasted and smelled like bad feet.

ok, i'll look next time I'm at the shop. I was drinking 2011. It happened to be the first time I'd seen it on the shelf. Never thought to check for a vintage on beer. I guess thats why it was there.

Grabbed a 6 of Sierra nevada Bigfoot barleywine style ale last week and was quite suprised by the taste. Not going to be judgemental, but its the only 6 i ever chucked out. Is this what barleywine is supposed to taste like, or is it just the typical sierra nevada heavy hops use?

:eek::eek: OMG! Where in MD are you? I would've taken that off of your hands in a heartbeat! I need to get some more to lay down for a year.

no not all barleywines are like this. John's Red Barleywine, in the recipe database here, is awesome to brew. It has become a once a year brew for me and am aging a case per year so far 3 years. this one is malt forward and just barely hopped to style. My wife and friends like it in the evening in the summer as an after Dinner beer sitting out on the deck

Bigfoot is a hop forward American barley wine. It is great young if you're a hop head. It is amazing after a year or two of cellaring. Look into English barley wines if you want something less hoppy.

Bigfoot is a hop forward American barley wine. It is great young if you're a hop head. It is amazing after a year or two of cellaring. Look into English barley wines if you want something less hoppy.

Agreed I personally don't care for American style barlywines either, but English ones are fantastic. If you can get flying dog beers their "Horn Dog" is an English Barley wine that is pretty good.

I thought a fresh 2011 Bigfoot almost tasted like an IIPA. I enjoyed it though and would have gladly taken the beer off your hands.

I love Bigfoot. I like the hopness it has. There is a huge difference between American Barleywine and English Barleywine. Basically the amount of hops. Aged Barleywine is also a bit less hops intense. usually a Barleywine is veyr malt forward with raisin, toffee, caramel flavors etc. Thick and strong. Alcohol hot if fresh, smooth if aged. It's amazing to see how the flavors change over the years.

:mad: Not cool dude.

edit:
I got a steel reserve that was left at my house after a party and refuse to toss it even though i hate that stuff. Its about to be a year old in April.

What is the advantage of aging an American Barleywine? Wouldn't the hop flavor just subside creating essentially an English Barleywine?

Congratulations! You just wasted your money.

Throwing it out? Was it that bad you had to throw it out?

Meh, not like it was my money. I actually do not personally like sierra nevada beers. Their pale is mediocre, their torpedo is juvenile. But throwing it out? Dramatic at best :)

You should try brewing a Barley Wine... its fun!

I also just recently picked up a six-pack of Bigfoot (2011 batch) and was surprised by how hop-heavy it was. I personally really prefer a maltier barleywine, like Left Hand's Widdershins. So, I definitely understand your surprise with it.

Still- I'm amazed you didn't put it in a closet/cellar to let the hops fade and try it again later, like i'm doing.

My biggest problem with Bigfoot was that it came across more as a hearty IPA with the 2010 batch. At only 9% beers don't quite get that bold character from the malt that they do from 10% up.

What is the advantage of aging an American Barleywine? Wouldn't the hop flavor just subside creating essentially an English Barleywine?

With an American Barleywine, they start out with lots of hops and as they age and the malt flavors change and meld, the hops subside but stick around some, so you still have some hops flavor, but it's not as strong as when it's fresh.

An English barleywine has less hops in general and the malt really sticks out.

Not to mention that American Barleywines use American hops, which have a very difference flavor than the variety used in English beers.

With an American Barleywine, they start out with lots of hops and as they age and the malt flavors change and meld, the hops subside but stick around some, so you still have some hops flavor, but it's not as strong as when it's fresh.

An English barleywine has less hops in general and the malt really sticks out.

Not to mention that American Barleywines use American hops, which have a very difference flavor than the variety used in English beers.

I'm very new to Barleywines, one of the few beer styles I haven't had a lot of. I've only had Bigfoot and Bells Third Coast Ale. I preferred the Third Coast.

So are you saying that a cellared American Barleywine will have more hop flavor than a fresh English Barleywine?

I'm very new to Barleywines, one of the few beer styles I haven't had a lot of. I've only had Bigfoot and Bells Third Coast Ale. I preferred the Third Coast.

So are you saying that a cellared American Barleywine will have more hop flavor than a fresh English Barleywine?

Isn't Third Coast an Old Ale?

IMO an American Barleywine shold be hopped more than an English, just like any other American style compared to the English style. So yes, I think that the American Barleywine would have more hops left after aging. And they would be the American variety flavors (Grapefruit, Piney, etc.)

But that's not to say that all American companies are going to put more hops in. It's their choice. I think most all do though.

From the BJCP:

English Barleywines: The richest and strongest of the English Ales. A showcase of malty richness and complex, intense flavors. The character of these ales can change significantly over time; both young and old versions should be appreciated for what they are. The malt profile can vary widely; not all examples will have all possible flavors or aromas.

Comments: Although often a hoppy beer, the English Barleywine places less emphasis on hop character than the American Barleywine and features English hops. English versions can be darker, maltier, fruitier, and feature richer specialty malt flavors than American Barleywines.

And,

American Barleywine: Moderately low to moderately high malty sweetness on the palate, although the finish may be somewhat sweet to quite dry (depending on aging). Hop bitterness may range from moderately strong to aggressive. While strongly malty, the balance should always seem bitter. Moderate to high hop flavor (any variety).

Citrusy American hops are common, although any varieties can be used in quantity. Generally uses an attenuative American yeast.

Dude! WTF? You threw it out 'cause it had heavy hops usage? I want to say some really mean things to you, but I'll hold my tongue!

You should've cellared it. It would've mellowed with age.

ok let me do what I can do to salvage my reputation as an open minded neophyte.

I was on an overnight trip and stopped by the local bottle shop for something to drink in the hotel room in my underwear while watching discovery channel. I bought a 6, drank 4 and left the last 2 for the maid. No i didnt pour it down the drain, please stop praying for me to be smote. I was too ... er... um... lets put it this way.. i needed to drive home the next day and was starting out early. The only reason I posted the question was to see if this was typical for barleywine. knew from the posts Ive read here that barleywine is generally aged for a year or so. I mistakenly assumed that said brew would be appropriately aged prior to bottling. I have tried several brews that I do not prefer but I have always finished them. Pleae forgive me, I'll mend my ways in the future.

I have been cellaring Bigfoot for over 20 years. Save it a long, long time and it will be an entirely different beast. Hops drops out to leave a mahogany smooth and very unusual malt character. I'll have a few when they're young but agree with the rest that age makes it best.

ok let me do what I can do to salvage my reputation as an open minded neophyte.

... please stop praying for me to be smote. ... Pleae forgive me, I'll mend my ways in the future.

LOL. We all make mistakes, yes? I have thrown a couple of whole batches down the drain. Saw a TV show in which Dogfish Head sewered and entire batch of 90-minute IPA that wasn't quite right. Couldn't have been as bad as a lot that sells for beer, could it? I almost cried.

PS, What do you think the maid did with your Bigfoot? Oh, sorry--you did beg for mercy, didn't you...

Isn't Third Coast an Old Ale?

IMO an American Barleywine shold be hopped more than an English, just like any other American style compared to the English style. So yes, I think that the American Barleywine would have more hops left after aging. And they would be the American variety flavors (Grapefruit, Piney, etc.)

But that's not to say that all American companies are going to put more hops in. It's their choice. I think most all do though.

I think you're right about Third Coast. I asked the guy at the beer store to recommend 2 of the best barleywines he had (good old research, ya know) and I wanted one to be english and one to be american. He walked straight up to bigfoot and said that was the best american and I said cool, I had heard a lot of good comments about that beer and then he walked over to Third Coast and handed it to me. I told him Bells was in Michigan and I wanted an english barleywine and he said it's an american brewer but an english style barleywine. Anyway, a couple of days later I pour it into a glass and read the bottle like I always do and I'm pretty sure it said Old Ale on it. Good beer though. Can anyone recommend an english barleywine for me to try?

I think you're right about Third Coast. I asked the guy at the beer store to recommend 2 of the best barleywines he had (good old research, ya know) and I wanted one to be english and one to be american. He walked straight up to bigfoot and said that was the best american and I said cool, I had heard a lot of good comments about that beer and then he walked over to Third Coast and handed it to me. I told him Bells was in Michigan and I wanted an english barleywine and he said it's an american brewer but an english style barleywine. Anyway, a couple of days later I pour it into a glass and read the bottle like I always do and I'm pretty sure it said Old Ale on it. Good beer though. Can anyone recommend an english barleywine for me to try?

The BJCP guidelines have commercial examples of every style: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

Commercial Examples: Thomas Hardy’s Ale, Burton Bridge Thomas Sykes Old Ale, J.W. Lee’s Vintage Harvest Ale, Robinson’s Old Tom, Fuller’s Golden Pride, AleSmith Old Numbskull, Young’s Old Nick (unusual in its 7.2% ABV), Whitbread Gold Label, Old Dominion Millenium, North Coast Old Stock Ale (when aged), Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot

I don't know which ones are good, but that might get you pointed in the right direction. It is interesting that it says North Coast Old Stock Ale is an English barleywine after it has been aged. What is it before it is aged?

The BJCP guidelines have commercial examples of every style: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

Commercial Examples: Thomas Hardy’s Ale, Burton Bridge Thomas Sykes Old Ale, J.W. Lee’s Vintage Harvest Ale, Robinson’s Old Tom, Fuller’s Golden Pride, AleSmith Old Numbskull, Young’s Old Nick (unusual in its 7.2% ABV), Whitbread Gold Label, Old Dominion Millenium, North Coast Old Stock Ale (when aged), Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot

I don't know which ones are good, but that might get you pointed in the right direction. It is interesting that it says North Coast Old Stock Ale is an English barleywine after it has been aged. What is it before it is aged?

Sounds like an Old Ale. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal preferences otherwise I could just walk in and grab the first thing I see. Thank you though. Actually after seeing that list I think I have had Fuller's Golden Pride, Thomas Hardy's Ale and Young's Old Nick before but I don't remember what they taste like. Maybe I've had more Barleywines than I realize.

LOL. We all make mistakes, yes? I have thrown a couple of whole batches down the drain. Saw a TV show in which Dogfish Head sewered and entire batch of 90-minute IPA that wasn't quite right. Couldn't have been as bad as a lot that sells for beer, could it? I almost cried.

PS, What do you think the maid did with your Bigfoot? Oh, sorry--you did beg for mercy, didn't you...

That was a sad episode, but I "think" it was actually a 120-minute... I just deleted the thing off my DVR last night.

Back