Barleywine secondary necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmcclure

Reaction score
I decided to try an extract kit again for fun and picked up Midwest's Bigfoot's Barleywine kit. It specifies a secondary fermentation with a champaign yeast pitch. I haven't done a secondary in years but wonder about the advisability with the second yeast addition. Will western civilization collapse if I just add the champaign yeast directly to the primary?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'd add it to the primary. If you add it at bottling and add the normal amount of priming sugar, you could end up with over carbed or bottle bombs since the champagne yeast might continue to ferment some sugars the beer yeast didn't ferment.

I'd add it to the primary. If you add it at bottling and add the normal amount of priming sugar, you could end up with over carbed or bottle bombs since the champagne yeast might continue to ferment some sugars the beer yeast didn't ferment.

My understanding is Champagne yeast cannot metabolize complex sugars and that is why it is recommended for bottle conditioning.

My understanding is Champagne yeast cannot metabolize complex sugars and that is why it is recommended for bottle conditioning.

Shoot I didn't know that. I just thought it was a higher abv tolerant yeast that a lot of folks use in big beers to help them finish if the primary strain doesn't attenuate enough.

Back