Barleywine partial mash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I know plunging in and doing an all grain barleywine for my first all grain would be a bit ridiculous to try and pull off. so I'm doing it partial, but with a lot of grains. I'm going to be using a much larger pot and a propane burner. I ran this recipe through promash and it gave me a SG of 1.114, 83 IBU's, and SRM 18.9. Let me know what you think of the recipe, if it'll work ok. Also, I'm going to be pitching on the yeast cake from an ESB made with a little rye. Is that going to cause a lot of flavors I don't want? Well, here's the recipe--

4lbs. Durst Munich
4lbs. Rahr 2-row
2lbs. 6-row
2lbs. crisp marris otter

10 oz. crystal 60L
8 oz. Simpsons Caramalt
6 oz. Special B
4 oz. Honey Malt
4 oz. Cara Red

1 lb. Clover Honey

6lbs Amber DME

1 oz. Amarillo boiling
1.5 oz. columbus flavor (15 mins)
2 oz. Simcoe aroma (2-5 mins)

WLP007

I did the hop schedule as american as I could think of, but I've never used Simcoe, and I don't even know if they're american or not. Anyone used this? Also, more honey, less? I want that dryness, but I don't know how much is too much.

Well, thanks for the help.

I think you'll be fine, except the 007 can't handle the ABV. Plan on racking after the initial ferment and adding a high gravity (wine, champaign, dry mead) yeast to finish. I call this Half-mashed and use the method for my barleywine and imperials. I don't do many and would rather stay with 5 gallon equipment, so I cheat on the big ones. It also means less sparging and a shorter boil. Add the DME and honey near the end of the boil and you'll get better utilization of the bittering hops.

david_42 said:
I think you'll be fine, except the 007 can't handle the ABV. Plan on racking after the initial ferment and adding a high gravity (wine, champaign, dry mead) yeast to finish. I call this Half-mashed and use the method for my barleywine and imperials. I don't do many and would rather stay with 5 gallon equipment, so I cheat on the big ones. It also means less sparging and a shorter boil. Add the DME and honey near the end of the boil and you'll get better utilization of the bittering hops.

Thanks. Is champagne the most neutral of these yeasts? I'm kind of curious about using the dry mead yeast since I'm looking for a kind of dry quality. Also, when to add? I've heard two or three days before bottling, but I'm not looking to have a belgian like carbonation, just a fully fermented beer. Possibly when I rack to secondary?

Back