Barleywine fg is high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Reaction score
Hello all

Receipe

10 lbs 2 row
8 lbs otter
.5 lbs carapils
.5lbs cry 120
1 lbs flaked barley
1 lbs brown sugar
2 oz summit 60 min
1 oz chinook 30 min
1 oz german perle 10 min
wlp 028 yeast cake

For some reason after my 90 min mash my temp ended at 160 degrees. Worried that I had too many unfermentables, I added 2 lbs of DME at the start of my boil.

I ended up with an OG of 1.090, and after 2 weeks I am at 1.034 :(
The samples taste great, but I would like for my fg to be lower, and I am not sure how to go about getting my fg lower. I have been researching using beano, but I have read a lot of negative results. I am really just looking for a higher abv, but I am worried that adding some extra fermentables may make the batch too sweet or too dry. Should I just leave it be, or does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA:mug:

A 160 mash is really high.

My first question is did you make an appropriately sized starter?

Secondly how would you feel about a soured beer? You could throw in some roeselare blend. Those bugs can eat the sugars regular yeast can't, and leave you with a dryer beer.

I may have pitched to high. I pitched on a yeast cake. Sour beer could be cool I have never made own before.

the 160 mash temp would yield a much less fermentable wort than a lower temp. I think that's way too high to get a fuller attenuation.

you might try a neutral, more powerful yeast, like a wine yeast. that could eat more sugar, but not add flavor

If you end up adding more yeast you can't just dump it in. By this point the original yeast already have used up the oxygen and nutrients that were originally in the wort.

I would...

Take a nuetral wine yeast.
Make a well aerated small starter.
Add yeast nutrient to said starter.
Pitch starter at high krausen.

Seriously though I would sour it. It sounds like fun. It's not like you'd be adding that much more time to the whole process as you need to age a barleywine down for a while anyways.

Put it in a glass carboy. Add roeselare blend, maybe throw in some oak cubes, attach airlock and leave it alone for 6 months.

Being that I have never done a sour beer. What is a roeselare blend? Will it make it really sour? I have tried a sour ale, and didnt really care for it to much. Thanks for the advice.

If you end up adding more yeast you can't just dump it in. By this point the original yeast already have used up the oxygen and nutrients that were originally in the wort.

I would...

Take a nuetral wine yeast.
Make a well aerated small starter.
Add yeast nutrient to said starter.
Pitch starter at high krausen.

yep, like this. montrachet wine yeast is a good choice

Back