Barley Wine Virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird77

Reaction score
I've never had a barleywine....need a recommendation! I want my first bottle to be a classic example of the style, nothing outrageous or different. Post up your favorites and recommendations for a first timer.My craft beer suppliers (6-pack stores) carry wide selections so assume I can find anything that is available nationally or local the the Philadelphia region.

Dogfish Head's Olde School is pretty good. I do believe I enjoyed Anchor's. I haven't tried Sierra Nevada's Big Foot, but it's probably really good.

Though depending on what you're used to, Barley Wine will definitely be a change of pace. They're a mighty brew.

Dogfish Head's Olde School is pretty good. I do believe I enjoyed Anchor's. I haven't tried Sierra Nevada's Big Foot, but it's probably really good.

Though depending on what you're used to, Barley Wine will definitely be a change of pace. They're a mighty brew.

Well I'm a fan of Dogfish Head, and "Olde School" sounds exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

Ah... Right... you are new to barley wines. You had my hopes up. I was thinking barley wine works on virgins. Oh well... My search continues.

well since you're in PA i would suggest Old Horizontal from Victory Brewing & Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher. both are real nice examples of English Style Barleywines.

Anchor Old Foghorn and the much hoppier Sierra Nevada Bigfoot give you something close to the two ends of the spectrum.

I've never had a barleywine....need a recommendation! I want my first bottle to be a classic example of the style, nothing outrageous or different. Post up your favorites and recommendations for a first timer.My craft beer suppliers (6-pack stores) carry wide selections so assume I can find anything that is available nationally or local the the Philadelphia region.

Off topic, but... where in the Philly area are there good six-pack stores? Any good ones near KOP?

I'm near Reading and there are pretty much no good six-pack places.

Take a decent IPA recipe, triple all the ingredients, throw in some Crystal 120. Boom. American Style Barleywine.

Not available in 6-packs, but Rogue's Old Crustacean is the nectar of the gods IMO.

Victory Old Horizontal might be my favorite Barleywine. You just have to let it age about 6 months before you drink it, and it just keeps getting better from there... (And it's made right in your back yard.)

Weyerbacher Insanity is another great one from Pennsylvania, but its a Bourbon Barrel aged Barleywine.

I'm not a big barley wine fan, but Avery Hog Heaven did it for me. Nice and hoppy with good grain flavor.

Anchor Old Foghorn and the much hoppier Sierra Nevada Bigfoot give you something close to the two ends of the spectrum.

What do you mean by the two ends of the spectrum exactly?

I had a Dogfish Head Olde School tonight, simply awesome. Where would you say that falls on the spectrum?

Off topic, but... where in the Philly area are there good six-pack stores? Any good ones near KOP?

I'm near Reading and there are pretty much no good six-pack places.

Well I live in the city, right at 21st and Chestnut there are two good places across the street from each other. Colney Deli & Beer Specialty is on Chestnut, and diagonally across from it on 21st there is another place (name is escaping me). Colney has about 8 upright refrigerators stocked with six-packs, plus another 3-4 stocked with loose 12 oz, 22 oz and 750 ml Belgians. There are a few more places I know of but these are the closest to me so thats where I always go.

EDIT: Also, Mulberry Market on 2nd Street, half a block North of Arch St has a decent selection of six packs as well.

Dogfish Head Olde School is the best one I've had so far.

Local pub had it on tap. Let the hating commence. :D

Victory Old Horizontal might be my favorite Barleywine. You just have to let it age about 6 months before you drink it, and it just keeps getting better from there... (And it's made right in your back yard.)

Weyerbacher Insanity is another great one from Pennsylvania, but its a Bourbon Barrel aged Barleywine.

I haven't had many, but Victory Old Horizontal is my favorite American barleywine.

Latest posts

Back