Barley derived Amylase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
Was reading a blog, which mentioned the isolation and extraction of amylase from barley under home conditions. Can't seem to find it, but either way it didn't describe the process. Anyone know how it can be done without extensive lab equipment?

Hoping to use it for beers without any grain-based diastatic power.

What kind of beers would you possibly want to derive from no base grains?

Gluten free without having to source gluten free malt?

Using home grown grain without malting?

Basically using some grain that you can't get malted.

Probably not a great idea, but I can see the motivation.

I think I've heard of some breweries using enzymes. I have a feeling they aren't available on the retail level though.

There's a strict barrier limiting brews to malted grains and that barrier is the diastatic power of malted grains vs. non-malted grains. I want to be able to brew with non-malted oats, mostly because malted oats are rare and go for over 2$ a lb. I find the lack of enzymes in oats limiting to my experimental recipes.

You can get enzymes at a retail level, mostly for the purpose of clarifying a starch haze during fermentation. The enzyme which clears out starch is an amylase, either alpha or beta, which is the same enzyme that barley release during the mashing process. In theory you could mash using the enzymes used for clarifying your beer, given that you have enough.

So I could buy these enzymes at about 8-9$/lb Amylase Enzyme Formula (1lb) - Fermentation Trap, but I'd rather make my own using barley. I figure making my own amylase would be cheaper and more satisfying.

Anybody have any ideas how it can be done?

If you want to isolate amylase at home, it could be done. However, you'll get all of the other enzymes too, if that matters to you. The key would be keeping everything cold. While amylases are very stable, as soon as you mix in your buffer to start the extraction, you'll also start to get starch conversion, which it sounds like you don't want. If you can keep it cold (as close to 32F as possible you won't get much conversion. If you can keep it cold you could just treat it very similar to a regular mash, then just drain it off and use it to mash in the oats.

Things to do different - besides keeping it ice cold (frozen bottles of water)

Grind as fine as possible to get maximal extraction. However, as you won't be getting starch conversion it is going to stick like a bugger, so add rice hulls. I use a centrifuge in the lab.

You could let it settle and then scoop off the top and pour it through a colander instead. Depending on how much starch you want to let through, you might do this twice, the second time add some cheesecloth to filter out more debris. Or you could put the grain in a 5 gal paint bag and then after your 15 min. lift it out and let it drain and then squeeze it. I actually have done this with plant protein extracts. I do my extraction in a beaker (on ice) and then pour it into a funnel lined with a filter cloth. After it is finished draining, I squeeze it. Just watch out so you don't split the filter bag.

15 min. of enzyme extraction is probably enough. Stir frequently

Some buffer pH 5.2 might help as a stabilizer. In the lab I always use a buffer

If you want to isolate amylase at home, it could be done. However, you'll get all of the other enzymes too, if that matters to you. The key would be keeping everything cold. While amylases are very stable, as soon as you mix in your buffer to start the extraction, you'll also start to get starch conversion, which it sounds like you don't want. If you can keep it cold (as close to 32F as possible you won't get much conversion. If you can keep it cold you could just treat it very similar to a regular mash, then just drain it off and use it to mash in the oats.

Things to do different - besides keeping it ice cold (frozen bottles of water)

Grind as fine as possible to get maximal extraction. However, as you won't be getting starch conversion it is going to stick like a bugger, so add rice hulls. I use a centrifuge in the lab.

You could let it settle and then scoop off the top and pour it through a colander instead. Depending on how much starch you want to let through, you might do this twice, the second time add some cheesecloth to filter out more debris. Or you could put the grain in a 5 gal paint bag and then after your 15 min. lift it out and let it drain and then squeeze it. I actually have done this with plant protein extracts. I do my extraction in a beaker (on ice) and then pour it into a funnel lined with a filter cloth. After it is finished draining, I squeeze it. Just watch out so you don't split the filter bag.

15 min. of enzyme extraction is probably enough. Stir frequently

Some buffer pH 5.2 might help as a stabilizer. In the lab I always use a buffer

Awesome, just what I was looking for.

Alpha amylase is cheap and you would have extreme difficulties purifying it enough to make it GF.

So you're trying to brew 100% oat beer?

Doing experimental 1-gallon batches, trying to get a decent product. Beano didn't work to convert the starches in past attempts, which included an all night rest at room temperature and mashing at 130 F for an hour; iodide test still came back starch positive.

If I could extract amylase from barley then I could mash as normal without having to worry about conversion.

Back