Banana with Jaggery goor as sugar - Anyone had some interesting results using jaggery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumathomebrew

Reaction score
I've recently brewed a bitter beer using jaggery instead of white sugar. Jaggery smells wonderful, like fudge/treacle, so have started some trial sized tea and left over fruit bowl wines with it. I have been waiting for the cheap supermarket overripe bananas to be on sale to try some banana and jaggery wine. I think the two flavours will compliment each other very well.

Discovered this article in the quest, that doesn't even use the flesh, just the rinds.... interesting... deffo doing this combo next... as soon as the cheap bananas present themselves or might freeze the skins as we eat them, until we have enough.

Anyone got experience with this wonderful sugar?

edit.. must make this ice cream too.

I have used it for IPA, to increase alcohol percentage and also add aroma. Also used it with orange and pineapple wines. I also use it as yeast starter solution as Gur contains lots of nutritional stuff. I would try with a stout and would cook it a bit with little water and see how it turns out.

Began some on the 1st as a test 2L batch in a water bottle.
1/7/19
5 banana skins chopped and boiled twice with a change of water each time. Used each resulting water.
+ campden + pectolase and left overnight.
2/7/19
1lb jaggery goor + juice of half a lemon plus its zest. Gently boiled with plain water until dissolved.
cooled
3/7/19
pitched EC1118 yeast dry on top
11/7/19
Beginning to separate a little and fast ferment calming. Good dry, toffee, nutty aroma with bananas subdued. Tastes near dry but is thin, so will add sultanas for body. Using skins doesn't give as much body feel as the flesh. Not a very surprising observation. Liking this experiment so far because banana wine can be a bit overpoweringly bananary.

I've made banana wine a couple of times and have not found that the wine tasted like bananas (any more than wines made from grapes taste like grape juice). My banana wine tasted similar to a sauterne. I don't have my notes handy but I do recall using a lot of bananas and the bananas were so ripe the skins were black and the must was so thick it was hard to stir...

Latest posts

Back