Dimethyl Sulphide or Butyric Acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLowPro

Reaction score
I've made dozens of successful batches of cider and now I've got my first batch of funkiness.

Here's my basic modus operandi. I primary in Corny kegs, with a gas out coupler to about 18 inches of clear tubing which is submerged in a large bottle of water for an airlock / overflow trap. I add 4.5 gallons of juice and 2lbs of sugar with Nottingham Ale yeast and ferment at 65 degrees. I start the yeast in water, prior to adding it to the kegs. This gives me a O.G. of 1.085. After about 2 weeks, I get a 10%+ ABV with some residual sweetness, which is my goal. Then I cold crash, to about 38 degrees, and eventually rack off to a serving keg. After at least another two weeks off the trub, I force carb and serve. Very happy with the fairly consistent results... Until now.

A little over two weeks ago, I started three nearly identical batches. I had two gallons of spiced apple juice sitting around so one keg got that and that much less regular apple juice. Two nights ago, I cold crashed them. Last night we took final gravity. I know that was backwards but until now results had been very consistent and I we were a day or two past two weeks in primary, so the readings were just to confirm. We disconnected the gas in / airlock coupler, connected the cobra tap to collect the sample, and add just a couple of lbs of C02 to push it out. The spiced keg had a F.G. of 1.008 or 10.8 ABV. Smelled nice. Tasted dry and the spices came through nicely, so I’ll rack that over to a serving keg soon. The second keg had a F.G. of 1.016 or 9.7 ABV. This one was a little estery, which I find desirable. It had a slight smell and taste of banana and a mouth feel similar to a buttery chardonnay. This has happened before and if I recall, it turned out to be a standout batch.

Now, the third keg is where things went funky. We disconnected the gas in coupler/airlock, popped on the Cobra tap and the cider blew past the thumb valve and hit the wall at about 60 PSI. We pulled the Cobra tap off fairly quickly and then discovered the poppet was missing from the gas coupler / airlock assembly. It had fermented under pressure the entire time. Interesting, I thought. I remember reading once about people doing this on purpose but I don’t remember any more details, other than that I thought I might like to try that someday. Apparently, that day came… accidentally. So we bled off pressure but since the cider was overly carbonated it kept rebuilding pressure. We got a foamy sample out and tried to flatten it by shaking it vigorously. I got a F.G. of 1.026 but the sample was still carbonated so I left it sitting out overnight to flatten. I wondered if I would ever have a good F.G. reading since alcohol is evaporating along with the gas now. Of course I forgot to check the sample this morning, so who knows.

Anyway, after the gravity reading last night I noticed an off smell. I said, it smelled like cooked vegetables or tomato sauce. My buddy said it smelled like Cioppino to him. A quick Google search suggested maybe this was a DMS (Dimethyl Sulphide) smell, which might not be a bad thing… It kinda made sense, because at least in beer production it is part of the process and “can be driven off through evaporation when boiling wort”. Since we fermented under pressure, there was no opportunity to evaporate. So we gave it a taste. It wasn’t terrible but a little sour and there was something odd… it took several sips before I could put my finger on it. Once I did and voiced it, we were in agreement. There was a slight smell and to a lesser extent taste of VOMIT! So this had me worried that it might be Butyric Acid from a Clostridium infection, and I just ingested an ounce or so. I’ve read that Brett might eat up Butyric Acid and think that DMS may off gas, so I reconnected a gas line to the air lock and left it in the chamber. I am likely going to move the first two kegs to the Kegerator to finish and bring the fermentation chamber back up to 65 and hope it will continue to ferment.

I woke up this AM with a minor headache. Did I mention we were drinking a little wine before we started? Headache went away once I rehydrated but so far, no other ill effects. Does the fact that I survived unscathed, thus far, seem to indicate that DMS is most likely the problem? Could something other than infection cause the Butyric Acid? Does Clostridium take a couple of days to wreak havoc on your system? Anyone have any insight?

I posted a thread recently about fermenting cider under pressure. I can't help you out as to the source of your off flavors, but I think that not letting it off-gas at all could be your problem (no spunding valve). Most recommendations for fermenting under pressure say to keep the pressure low at the beggining and slowly increase it towards the end of fermentation. I somewhat eschewed this advice and planned on letting it get up to 30psi pretty quickly, but then my spunding valve started leaking so it dropped down low and then maxed out around 20psi and seems to have stalled out around there (vast under pitch w only bottle dregs). I experienced no off flavors except for a tad of brett funkyness, but I did end up letting it depressurize at the beginning so there is no real comparison there.

I bet this will turn around now that you're letting it breath and bringing the temp back up; but I could be wrong.. keep us updated.

DMS is definitely a byproduct of the yeast that normally gets vented away so that sounds very likely. You should be good continuing to vent as long as there is still some small amount of fermentation going on to produce the CO2 to help kick it out. I'd just give it 2 weeks and check back, the DMS is readily apparent as you discovered.

Happy to report that the gravity sample that I left out, overnight, smelled and tasted good 24 hrs later. No ill effects from prior nights sampling. As the specific gravity was still high, I brought it back up to attenuation temp last night and made sure the breather/blow off was properly assembled and attached. It had been cold crashed for over a week. Hoping the yeast wakes up and gets back to work. :)

Latest posts

Back