Banana Wine Recipe - In-progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slm4996

Reaction score
I just recently developed ad started fermenting a Banana Wine recipe of my own devising. I'd appreciate any feedback that you may have. The recipe and actual brewing posts are located on my blog, but I will duplicate the recipe here for easier viewing by the community.

SOLOMON’S BANANA WINE

(recipe is a work in progress)

22 pounds of RIPE bananas
Sliced thinly with skin on
5 gallons water
more or less as needed
Sugar
White or Brown, 5-15 pounds?
I will check the gravity of the mash before I add any sugar as the bananas natural sweetness can vary greatly. I wil then then taste a bit with each kind of sugar and see if it makes a difference. My goal for this is 18% ABV.
6 teaspoon acid blend
Probably, substitute 1 cup lemon juice
5 teaspoon pectin
1.25 teaspoon wine tannins
6 teaspoon yeast nutrient
4 pounds raisins
Most recipes called for golden raisins but I plan on using regular (cheaper) as these days they are the same fruit, with the goldens having been treated with sulfur dioxide to prevent them from darkening.
STEP1

Slice the bananas into thin slices, skin and all, and place them into a very large (minimum 3, prefferably 5 gallon) pot. The reason we leave the skins on is to make use some of the natural tannins contained in them in our wine.

STEP2

Fill with water leaving enough room at the top for foaming. Heat to a soft boil and hold it there for half an hour while stirring and mashing the bananas. At this point I will remove samples for measuring gravity (looking for somewhere around 1.135) and tasting sugars. Once I know what kind and how much sugar to use I will add it to the pot and boil for another 5 minutes. If I already knew how much sugar to use I would add it at the begging of the boil. Remove the pot from the heat and add the acid blend or lemon juice, yeast nutrient, and tannin. Stir well.

STEP3

Prepare a small bowl of warm, 85 degrees or so, water by adding a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of the mash. Whisk this vigourosly together and sprinkle you yeast over the top. I will be using once pouch of lalvin ec-1118.

STEP4

Chop up, smash, or puree the raisins and place into a sanitized 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket. Once you think the mash has cooled enough that you can safely handle the pot pour it through a strainer into the fermenting bucket containing the raisins, add back in a large spoonfull of the strained mush. Top off with cold water or ice, to assist cooling, to the 6 gallon mark. Stir well and cover with sanitized lid and airlock to cool further.

STEP5

Once the mash has cooled to 85 degrees, no more than 90, add the yeast starter you prepared in step 3. Stir everything well and replace the lid and airlock.

STEP6

Here is where I could use some feedback. Some recipes say to leave it alone, some recipes say to stir the mash daily for at least the first week. Stiring would increase oxygen and break up any raft that may form on top, but could introduce infection. I’m leaning towards not stirring after the first day.

Intersting note: This will, according to reports, look like horribly dirty,muddy water but smell like banana bread after a few days.

Wait about 4 weeks and when fermentaion has slowed rack into a 6 gallon carboy and reserve a sample for gravity measurment and tasting. Be sure to record all observations and the gravity reading. Place the carboy somewhere cool and dark for 2-3 months.

What are your thoughts?

I made a banana wine earlier this year. It turned out really well and everyone gave very positive feedback. I'll get my recipe book from work on Monday and post my notes. I can tell you. I am a huge advocate of open bucket fermentation. The oxygen is beneficial at the beginning and stirring should be done daily. Just use a towel over the top of your bucket and a rubber band to secure. It's odd, I use panty hose. Just cut one of the legs to length and tie one end. You can then slide it over your bucket. It works perfectly keeping the insects out.

Once your gravity reading is between 1.040 - 1.020, rack to your carboy and place your airlock. You then let it ferment to .990 or as close as possible. It's always easier to back sweeten later. I usually rack at this point and stabilize. The amount of co2 that is being produced at the beginning also adds a considerable amount of protection.

Honestly, I can't remember. I use them often though. They are great for mouth feel. If you use regular raisons instead of golden raisons. Expect brown tones to be added to your wine. I'll post my notes Monday night. When I get home.

Ohh, expect an excessive amount of gross lees at the beginning. Once I transferred to my secondary, per my previous posted method. I had a huge amount of lees. I was quite shocked that cleared to crystal clear. It had a nice yellow color.

Your method is similar to mine from what I remember. I'm not sure I added anymore tannin though. Have you ever bitten into a banana peel? I picked up on that slightly. With what I made. It was nice, with all the bananas I used. I could just pick it up as it was evaporating off the tongue. It was very nice.

I haven't been to your blog.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up forgetting the raisins, but am considering adding them to secondary.

Looking forward to reading your notes.

I am subscribed. I really want to know how this turns out. I just experimented with bananas in a wheat beer, so maybe I could use some of what I use here in my next batch. What does the pectin do?

The pectin helps to settle out the banana solids. Without it you end up with even more trub/lees/banana jelly than we already have.

uploadfromtaptalk1387026868934.jpg
Here is what the 1 gallon portion of the batch looked like last night.

I think Yooper has a popular banana wine recipe on here, if you wanted to search for that, see what people did. It was well liked by people who reviewed it. I think Yooper aged it for year(s) though...

Yes he did, I've seen it before. It's always brought up in discussion on any forum or thread so it must have made an impression. I'll see if I can dig up the link to it from another thread.

Here are the ingredients of the banana wine I made.
6 Gallon Batch
30lbs bananas with peelings
12 qts welches white grape juice
10 lbs sugar
2.5 gallons water
1/2 tsp tannin
12 tsp acid blend
3 tsp yeast nutrient
acid level 3.5
OG 1.100
2/17 - Sliced bananas with peels, boiled for 30 minutes with grape juice. Dump contents into primary, add sugar and stir until disolved. Add water until you get to 6 gallons and then let cool. Add pectin enzyme, campden tablets, acid blend, yeast nutrient.
2/18 - pitched yeast
2/24 - gravity .032 racked to secondary
3/17 - racked off of gross lees, .990, added water to top
6/29 - racked, added sorbate, potassium metabisulfite
7/03 - added simple syrup to bring up to 1.014
added 2 cinnamon sticks
7/10 bottled ph 3.5 FG 1.014

Here are the ingredients of the banana wine I made.
6 Gallon Batch
30lbs bananas with peelings
12 qts welches white grape juice
10 lbs sugar
2.5 gallons water
1/2 tsp tannin
12 tsp acid blend
3 tsp yeast nutrient
acid level 3.5
OG 1.100
2/17 - Sliced bananas with peels, boiled for 30 minutes with grape juice. Dump contents into primary, add sugar and stir until disolved. Add water until you get to 6 gallons and then let cool. Add pectin enzyme, campden tablets, acid blend, yeast nutrient.
2/18 - pitched yeast
2/24 - gravity .032 racked to secondary
3/17 - racked off of gross lees, .990, added water to top
6/29 - racked, added sorbate, potassium metabisulfite
7/03 - added simple syrup to bring up to 1.014
added 2 cinnamon sticks
7/10 bottled ph 3.5 FG 1.014

Wow, that was a low OG. Did you take that reading before adding the 10# sugar? I ask because it is listed before the step of adding the sugar. I figured with the grape juice and larger quantity of banana it would be higher than mine.
:ban:

It was after the addition of sugar. Of course, I can tell you. The sludge of bananas that resulted from the mixture. Could have thrown my readings off. The final wine though was smooth, with almost no alcohol flavor. I came up with a 14.4% abv. Honestly one of the best batches I have made, besides my Plum wine.

Pectin a white, amorphous, colloidal carbohydrate of high molecular weight occurring in ripe fruits, especially in apples, currants, etc., and used in fruit jellies, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics for its thickening and emulsifying properties and its ability to solidify to a gel.

Pectic Enzyme is recommended for all fresh fruit wines. Add the Pectic Enzyme to the juice prior to the fermentation process in order to enhance the clarification process.

Sorry meant Pectic Enzyme..

Pectin a white, amorphous, colloidal carbohydrate of high molecular weight occurring in ripe fruits, especially in apples, currants, etc., and used in fruit jellies, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics for its thickening and emulsifying properties and its ability to solidify to a gel.

Pectic Enzyme is recommended for all fresh fruit wines. Add the Pectic Enzyme to the juice prior to the fermentation process in order to enhance the clarification process.

Sorry meant Pectic Enzyme..

Same here.

Wow, that was a low OG. Did you take that reading before adding the 10# sugar? I ask because it is listed before the step of adding the sugar. I figured with the grape juice and larger quantity of banana it would be higher than mine.
:ban:

Just did the math and it's accurate.

12.23 grams of sugar per 100 grams of bananas.
30lbs bananas = 13,607.7711 grams
13,607.7711 / 100 = 136.077711 * 12.23 = 1664.23041 grams of sugar or 3.669lbs of sugar per 30lbs bananas
10lbs + 3.669 = 13.669lbs sugar

Per a brix chart I looked at.
1.100 gravity would equate 2.4lbs sugar per gallon. 6 gallons would be 14.4lbs sugar. Which is pretty darn close, I don't have the sugar content on the grape juice. Didn't feel like looking. I would still say, including the juice. It would be spot on.

Back