Baltic Porter lagering and aging help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramitt

Reaction score
I just brewed a Baltic Porter using a lager yeast. saflager w-34/70 and I am a bit usnsure of when to Lager/ Bulk age before kegging.

It is mostly UK Pale Malt with 1 lb brown malt 1 lb Midnight Wheat 1/2 caramunich 1/2 special B 12 oz molasses.

I plan to ferment about 3 wks @54 deg. I was thinking I could get away with transferring to secondary and store in basement ( ave temp ~65 in winter) instead of a diacytel rest and to bulk age a few months before kegging and lagering in keezer.

Does this sound sane, or should I lager before bulk aging. I am tight on kegs and keezer space so I really would prefer to age it in my cellar in a carboy for a few months.

You could do that if kegs are in short supply. How big is this beer? If it is not a monster ABV brew, then I don't think it should need more than 3 months (if that) to be ready to pour. I typically ferment lagers 2-3 weeks, then I keg them and into the larger fridge they go. After a week or two, I'll hook up the CO2. Usually by 4 weeks after kegging I'm ready to start tapping into them

Aerated and pitched properly, I'd say you could have the beer ready to drink in 10 weeks, 12 tops.

That is what I like to hear, it was a large pitch of 2nd gen yeast and aereted with pure o2 and a stone.

Back