Ball Lock Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
first of all i must say, hot damn learning about kegging is like learning homebrewing from the ground up again... maybe i underestimated it a tad :cross:

So i got one of these keg faucet adapters (http://www.homebrewing.org/Keg-Faucet-Adaptor-Assembly_p_909.html) to get away from the tacky picnic taps. Even at low keg presures i am just pouring foam. I recently learned about the epoxy mixer trick but people say they use those with 3-4' picnic taps. This thing is prettymuch 0'. Is there any hope of using this thing and pour a decent pint as well?

Hi

The alternative is to put a reasonable amount of beer line on the setup and leave your pressure up where it keeps the beer happy long term.

Bob

I've never used one of those, and always wondered how they could possibly work. You need beer line. Having the tap directly on the keg seems like a device specifically designed to produce foam.

I use one, but only on my 2.5G keg. Attach, bleed off all head pressure, give a tiny shot of co2 with co2 injector cartridge and it'll pour with very little foam. Tiny shots of co2 periodically will keep it pouring. If you are using a co2 tank and regulator, you need ultra-low psi. There is almost zero resistance.

This is a device that you don't want connected to your keg(s) at all times because the keg will eventually get flat when hooked up to that low of a pressure. If I'm using a picnic tap in my chest freezer and it's hooked up to normal pressure (12 psi for me), I need about 10 to 12' of 3/16" beer line for good pours. The faucet adapter is really for portable kegs IMO. I think it works great on my mini keg with the co2 injector.

I use one, but only on my 2.5G keg. Attach, bleed off all head pressure, give a tiny shot of co2 with co2 injector cartridge and it'll pour with very little foam. Tiny shots of co2 periodically will keep it pouring. If you are using a co2 tank and regulator, you need ultra-low psi. There is almost zero resistance.

This is a device that you don't want connected to your keg(s) at all times because the keg will eventually get flat when hooked up to that low of a pressure. If I'm using a picnic tap in my chest freezer and it's hooked up to normal pressure (12 psi for me), I need about 10 to 12' of 3/16" beer line for good pours. The faucet adapter is really for portable kegs IMO. I think it works great on my mini keg with the co2 injector.

Agreed, this is a portable solution and not really meant for a permanent kegging setup.

0 = (P -(.5*.5)-1)/2.7
P=1.25 PSI assuming the height is half a foot above the liquid level. maybe try a little higher to ensure you can push it out as the keg empties.

Beer Line Length Formula:

L = (P -(H x .5) – 1 ) / R

Where:
L = length of beer line in feet
P = pressure set of regulator
H = total height from center of keg to faucet in feet
R = resistance of the line from the following table
1 = residual pressure remaining at faucet (this can be increased to 2 if you need to increase pressure to increase dispense rate)

1/4” ID plastic beer line .7
3/16” ID plastic beer line 2.7

0 = (P -(.5*.5)-1)/2.7
P=1.25 PSI assuming the height is half a foot above the liquid level. maybe try a little higher to ensure you can push it out as the keg empties.

Beer Line Length Formula:

L = (P -(H x .5) – 1 ) / R

Where:
L = length of beer line in feet
P = pressure set of regulator
H = total height from center of keg to faucet in feet
R = resistance of the line from the following table
1 = residual pressure remaining at faucet (this can be increased to 2 if you need to increase pressure to increase dispense rate)

1/4” ID plastic beer line .7
3/16” ID plastic beer line 2.7

Hi

That's a fine formula. Since it *assumes* a specific flow rate (tube only drops pressure when there is a flow / drop increases as flow goes up) it's utility is somewhat limited.

Bob

Back