Balancing fitness with beer drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, you guys remind me of my brother. Everytime something pisses him off, he tells me, "I had a ****ty day today, my boss is an *******. I'm gonna take it out on my liver ..." or "my apartment got robbed today!! I'm gonna teach my liver a lesson!!!!!"

Or, "I had a bad day today, time to make my liver quiver" ...

I have a crazy way that I am able to balance it out. For 6 months I drink all the beer I want on my days off, and drink one or two on nights I get off work. I run 2 to 3 days a week- only 1.5 miles. Now this alone does nothing and I gain Lbs every month. Then for 6 months I go to some hot ass country where I don't drink a drop of beer, and I work out everyday but Sunday for 2 hours. All the pounds drop right off, and I go back home. Repeat for 4 to 6 years.

It's all about choices. You can't drink beer, eat junk food, and not exercise, and be fit. But you can incorporate any food and any drink into a healthy lifestyle.

That's pretty much it.

You don't gain weight because you drink craft beer. You gain weight because you're bringing more calories into your body than you're burning off. Beer gets the attention because of the "beer belly" association.

I do 30 minutes on a treadmill 3 times a week and either lift weights or do push-ups, chins, etc. I'm 6'0" and weigh 190 lbs. I drink 6-8 homebrews a week. I eat pretty healthy (mostly thanks to Mrs. FireBrewer) and my LDL and triglycerides are so low the doc said I should post 'em on the fridge at work. :D

It's all about moderation and balance. I have a huge weakness for sweet tea but sometimes ya just gotta drink water instead (only sometimes, not all the time). ;)

Raise your right hand and repeat after me: "I, (name), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...":cross:

More seriously though, crossfit.com.

Build an electric kettle and put an alternator on the exercise bike. :mug:

My "fitness" program has eight legs. We walk out to the mailbox and back twice a day. Slightly over a kilometer and 100 meters of climb on the way back. At 57, I'm in about the same condition I was at 17. Not very good, but good enough.

Just a matter of quantity, as two pints of an IIPA = a Big Mac - fat and salt. Start making small beers, more of a challenge to brew anyway.

I made a spreadsheet and tracked what I was spending my time doing.

Most people work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and spend 8 hours per day sleeping.

That leaves 72 hours a week. What are you doing during that time? I'll bet you find that you're spending 3,4,5 hours each day on the computer or watching TV.

It sounds stupid but once you actually see the numbers you'll be inspired to get off your ass.

Although off topic, this also works for spending. If you find your spending is a bit out of hand, make a spreadsheet and commit to entering info from every single receipt into it. Track what you're spending money on and why. It's different than just looking at your bank statement because you are no longer looking at the past. You'll find eventually that you really consider every single thing you buy and will start saving money.

I ride my bike and drink beer everyday... Find some kind of fitness activity that becomes a hobby rather than a way of "burning" the beer off. I am in the best shape of my life simply because I started riding my bike around town to do errands, mountain biking every week, and going on road rides with friends as well. I use to try to go to the gym, but never kept up with it cause its simply... BORING! Once you can find some kind of exercise that is as fun to you as homebrewing is... you'll be set.

Im telling you BIKES AND BEER!!! a wonderful combo...

I completely agree. I trained for and rode in a century this summer. Beer at the finish line! It would be great if you could find a group to ride with or run with that also enjoyed home brewing.

I eat fast food whenever I can, snack all the time, eat fatty/salty foods at nearly every meal, enjoy homebrew in moderate quantities on a daily basis, and last time I check my body fat was right around 9%.

The thing is, if you work hard enough, you'll have more trouble finding out how to consume enough, as opposed to too little.

My case might be a little extreme, but you don't have to give up any food or drink you enjoy to lose weight, you just need to workout more/harder.

Well, a couple questions first:

1. How old are you?

2. How often do you work out?

3. Are you a mutant?

Not sure if that was to me or not. But I am still young, so I clearly have that going for me. I am 22. But I think the main thing is working our 15+ hours a week. As it was said earlier, people have a lot more time than they realize to work out. Sure we don't like to do it, but if you really enjoy food and beverages, and don't want to be over weight, its really the best option.

And I don't think I am a mutant... But hey, you never know.

Eating all that crap even with working out for 15+ hours a week won't get the majority of people 9% body fat. Part of it is your age, the average metabolism starts to slow down around age 25 or so. It also sounds like you have good genetics.

I eat fast food whenever I can, snack all the time, eat fatty/salty foods at nearly every meal, enjoy homebrew in moderate quantities on a daily basis, and last time I check my body fat was right around 9%.

You're 22. Try that again in 15-20 years and let me know how it works out for ya. ;)

My case might be a little extreme, but you don't have to give up any food or drink you enjoy to lose weight, you just need to workout more/harder.

QFT.

Cycling to work has been the best health choice I've made in awhile.

First couple of months was rough. Always find some excuse where driving was a better option but I would force myself to ride. Now I really look forward to it and dread the days when the weather won't permit me too.

Age does make a difference. I'm exercising more and eating less than I did at 25 and I weight more. Used to throw off heat like an incinerator.

I exercise 6 days a week and it's a battle..When you turn 41 like me, it get harder and harder to maintain. I couldn't drink the beer I do if I didn't workout.

When I walk into a room, I like my chest to enter first..

I work hard in the gym mostly so I can eat and drink as I please....with limitations and moderation.
A beer with dinner is not an issue if you exercise enough with strength training and some light cardio.

This is a cool discussion. It has prompted me to order The Omnivore's Dilemma. Looks like a good read. Im 34 and the thought of my weight has never so much as crossed my mind, as a mater of fact I have probably always been a little under weight but lately I have noticed my work pants are fitting a little tighter than they used to. Well I have no desire to cut back on good home brew and I don't want to get fat so it looks like I will be taking a look at my diet and exercising a little more. That bike riding sounds like a winer to me! We also have Wii fit so I have some options. Good luck to Agtronic and every one else dealing with this same issue :mug:

Because formulating a diet regime around copious amounts of craft beer and faithfulness to the glycemic index is too difficult for me, I'm taking the advice of many here and getting a Harley so I can lose weight. :D

+1 on bike commuting to work. I thought it would be insane doing the 7 miles to the office, but on some bike forum, I saw people that were doing 30-40 miles each way. Suddenly I didn't really have any excuses.

As many other people have mentioned the key to maintaining a healthy weight, or losing weight is diet and finding some sort of activity that can you can stick with. Even at 23 it is very difficult for me to lose weight. I hike, ski, run, lift, walk whenever I can, and bike but if I'm not eating well I wont lose a single pound.

Now I'm doing crossfit a few days a week with my co-workers during lunch break, and will be going on a strict diet for 30 days starting in feb. I'm looking at it as "build up the pipeline" month.

+1 on bike commuting to work. I thought it would be insane doing the 7 miles to the office, but on some bike forum, I saw people that were doing 30-40 miles each way. Suddenly I didn't really have any excuses.

Yep, my commute is 7 miles round trip which is almost too short. If you have a decent bike, 7 miles even in traffic should take no more than 40 minutes. Once you get into riding shape, that will probably drop to 30 minutes or lower. Doing that twice a day and keeping the same eating/drinking habits would drop the pounds off like mad.

I'm now 15 pounds lighter since September, and all I've changed is riding that 7 miles to work and back. Once a week I try to go on a longer road ride, or hit the mountain bike trails for a couple hours. At some point I know I'll plateau with my weight loss, at which point I'll take a longer route home. No need to pay for a gym when the world is out there.

I own a welding shop, and it's one block from my apartment. I already bike there, but it's not enough. I will be going back to the gym, and watching my drinking.

Since starting this thread, I have limited my beer/wine/spirits to weekends only. I've already lost a little bit of weight. I am planning to go back to the gym aswell. Once I am back down to a more healthy weight, I will try to bring the beer into my weekdays aswell, since I love it so much.

I find that putting down the "how to brew" book and staying away from this site has helped. I cannot read a beer review without my mouth watering and the thought of picking up some of my favorite beer taking over my mind ...

Hehe, thanks for all your replies!

I'm 29 and over the last few years my weight has slowly crept up, especially since I took a job in outside sales 2 years ago and take people out to eat for lunch nearly every day. Several months ago a new gym opened in our neighborhood so my wife and I joined in late October. I've impressed myself with my dedication, and in fact tonight I ran 6.2 miles on the treadmill, which is my farthest to date (thankfully they have TV screens built in so I can keep myself entertained). Anyways, I've been running 2-3 times a week and lifting weights 2-3 times a week as well. At first the weight didn't come off but I attribute that to me building some muscle faster than I was burning fat. Now the weight seems to be coming off. I started off at 215, dropped down to about 205, then it rose back up to around 210, and now I'm down to 202. I keep track of my weight on our Wii fit, in fact yesterday was the first day the Wii has said I was simply 'overweight' instead of 'obese'. I've lost about 2 inches off my waist as well.

We're moving back to Florida in 2 months and I've already found a gym that I'll be joining there, plus I'll be able to ride my bikes A LOT more (I bought a snazzy new $2K road bike over the summer as well that hasn't seen the light of day in a few months because I don't like riding in the cold, and I also mountain bike). I've also made some adjustments in my diet, I try to actually snack more than I used to and not eat as much during my meals. I typically have a cup of yogurt and glass of OJ w/ a packet of Emergen C for breakfast around 8 am, then have a snack around 10 am, usually a banana or protein bar, then have a light lunch around noon, then have another snack around 3 (usually a protein shake after I hit the gym), then have regular dinner around 6, then have another snack before I go to bed (usually fruit and/or a homebrew). I try to never feel hungry, and by doing this I've actually decreased my daily caloric intake. My goal is to be down to around 175 by the time I turn 30 in late September.

Just found this thread, hits home, so I'll add my story, and try to keep it short (but probably won't).

37 years old, always big, never exercise, low metabolism as long as I can recall, 40 hour per week keyboard pounder. Smallest pants I can recall wearing (back in high school) was a 36 waist. Lowest recorded weight I remember was 160, when I turned 16. Got married in 1994 and started ballooning, finally to 290 (age then 27 or 28). Dieted to lose some, gained some back, typical roller coaster. Actually saw 199 in 2001 after my divorce but it all came back. Fast forward to a few days after my last birthday (July, 2009) when I was sitting in a doctor's office for chest pains. I didn't know how serious it was or wasn't, but with my family history, I needed to address it. I'm now a divorced father of a 13 y/o daughter and don't want to orphan her anytime soon. I weighed 250 (5'7), passed all the stress tests, ran my fat a$$ on a treadmill for about ten minutes...all systems go, no blockages, but my LDL was high (199). I decided that day, on that scale, that life was about to change. Got some meds, went home, and took a long hard look in the mirror. No more roller coaster dieting, no more "getting back to 220"...REAL change.

Slowly but surely...reading articles, nutrition labels, tossed the deep fryer in the trash, traded beef (most of it) for baked or grilled fish and chicken, counting calories, reducing intake (max of 1500 per day, 1300 for a while), eating less volume (as someone else said, satisfied, not stuffed), woke up every morning at 4:30 and walked three miles (weather permitting), and sadly, yes, dropped "real" beer from my diet. I won't insult you with what I drink. I still enjoy a good one now and then (two months to put away a sixer of Longhammer IPA). Late September I had round two of my bloodwork and my numbers showed drastic improvement (LDL was 105). I haven't had a "sweet" since July, no sodas (drank a ton of diet coke before, quit them in May of 2009). In terms of liquids, other than the occasional beer, it's water (lots), coffee, and green tea.

By mid-November I weighed 192 (yes, 58 pounds in four months) and decided to join a gym. Cold weather had shelved the morning walk and I wanted something more. One hour a day after work (half cardio/half strength training) minimum, at least 5 days per week, and I still hit a treadmill at home quite often. As my schedule allows I add a little to my routine and mix it up as well. Two months into the gym routine I'm still losing, but not at much as before. Fat still burns but I'm also building lean muscle mass. I'm now at 181. I love the new life "style" and feel more accomplished than I ever have. Healthwise, I can't recall a time that I ever felt this good.

Through all of this, obviously, I shelved my brewing. I was only four or five batches in and was really enjoying the complete experience from running water to drawing (many) beers every night. As much fun as it was, I've recently started accepting the notion that I may never brew again. What got me into it was the love of high hopped beers, the fact that I owned a fine-tuned kegerator, and the fact that I lived in a beer desert. I was intent on drinking more than my share, at least every other night, and in a lazy lifestyle, that simply wasn't going to work. I still own the kegerator, still love the hoppy goodness, still live in a beer desert, but a few here and there most likely won't warrant the detail it takes to brew and drink my own stuff, at least not right now - and I'm cool with that. In the mean time, I still hang out here (even renewed my premium membership) and read (mostly) as others enjoy the homebrewing experience.

It's good to enjoy good beer, even better if you make it yourself, but it's better if you enjoy it along with a healthy lifestyle.

Excellent job on the lifestyle change. Might I suggest a heavy bag as well? Lets loose some stress. Pair N.O. Xplode with it and you'll have the time of your life.

I've actually been considered a heavy bag lately (especially for those days when the ex sets me off), just never pulled the trigger. Don't have a lot of floor space so I'd have to hang it (and hang it correctly) and that's slowed me down.

Someone mentioned "something Explode" at the gym the other day. I'll have to look into that.

you're welcome. Another, cheaper version is called RPM. I've really liked N.O. Xplode but some guys I know said that RPM was better so I ordered some of each to test.

If you're like me and notice that once in awhile you've managed to gain 5 or 10 pounds, try this:

1. Stop drinking pop / soda. My bro loves coca-cola - stopped drinking it and lost 10 pounds! TEN. I stopped drinking it just before christmas and have noticed a difference already. It is addictive stuff, I just drink black coffee instead now. Much better for you. And if you think about it, a can of coke is about 160 calories... which is close to the same as.... ;)

2. Try ethnic foods. I love indian food. You can get curry paste that you cook with chicken, beef, lamb, or whatever and tomatoes (doesn't have to be the turbo-spicy-pee-out-your-ass kind, they make mild too), it is really, really good and the sauce for enough to feed 3 people is like 160 calories. It comes in jars. You simply put a few tablespoons of this premade paste in with whatever meat you are cooking, add some diced tomatoes, and let 'er rip. It is so good. You don't need to be drastic, just a few times a week eating different supper will probably make a difference. Salad rolls with peanut dip, vietnamese salads, all really good and good for you. You do have to be willing to try though.

3. Walk places. I live in the middle of downtown, close to stores and everything and I found myself driving there. Started walking instead, usually a round trip of less than 2 miles. Takes a lot less time than it seems, and it's good time for thinking and fresh air.
colas.jpg

I've been working out pretty hard since April. Today something cool happened. I put on my weight belt and noticed, don't really know how I didn't notice before, that when I fully strapped it up the ends overlapped by a good 6 inches. When I started lifting the ends were at least two inches apart.

I DO NOT want to give up beer completely, and I really don't know if I want to limit myself to one beer every two weeks ... Do I really need to pick one?

Share your thoughts on the subject!

Thanks!

Interesting topic... have to revive it...

I graduated high school in 1998 with a 6'4" 155lb frame (yes, I know, I was a twig). I stopped growing, started drinking, always managed to stay fit working landscaping and here I am 30 years old at 190lbs with a healthy drinking habit (every day, many beers), no beer gut, and a non-manual labor career as a high school teacher.

Here's my secret:

When I drink more, I eat less.

Forget dieting fads and carbs and all that crap. It's a very simple equation. Calories in versus calories used. If the former outnumbers the latter you'll get fat. I have 2 cups of coffee for breakfast, a light lunch, and a single small portion of a well balanced dinner. Never eat sweets, never snack, jog and do some basic lifting routines, and there's no problem.

About 6 years ago, I got a dog. I started taking her for long walks as soon as she was old enough to know how to walk on leash. A little over a year later, I got another dog, and started walking him too. Now, the three of us do 3-4 miles a day, and I can pretty much drink as much as I want to without gaining weight. Sure, I have a little bulge in the belly, but I just say that comes with age.

The moral of this story? Get a dog or two.

Back