Bairds Carastan sub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno77

Reaction score
I'm making a fairly decent sized order from Midwest Supply and one of my planned brews is a Pliny clone that calls for Bairds Carastan. I've done some searching and am not finding what I should substitute for this from Midwest. Ive been doing some drinking, too, so that could be part of the problem ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had read somewhere that a Crystal 30 would work, but then not, but then someone said 31-38. They don't have a C-30, anyway, but they do have "Maillard Malts Dingemans Cara 45 Malt", so you think that might work?

This is only .5lbs of a total of 15.25lbs of grains for the recipe, so as long as I'm close it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I'm placing the order late tonight or early tomorrow, so if there are any dissenters they should speak up fast!

I am entering the recipe from Northern Brewer into Brewtarget and it is NOT spitting out the same ABV, OG, etc based on those ingredients.

What gives?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back