Bad Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael311

Reaction score
I'm having an unusual fermentation using WLP001. I've been brewing for for two years and this is batch #30 for me. I've used WLP001 probably 20+ times.

I'm brewing an IPA, OG 1.071. I ordered the yeast through More Beer and it shipped via FedEx. I forgot to order an ice pack but the high temps in SoCal were in the high 60's to low 70's. As soon as I received the package, I placed the vial in the refrigerator.

I made a starter the night before brew day and it changed from brown to a creamy color as usual. The smell was typically yeasty. I pitched the starter approximately 20 hours after making it. I cooled the wort to 72*, added about 70 seconds of pure oxygen and I placed the fermenter in a chest freezer with a controller set at 65*.

I use a stainless steel fermenter with four clamps on the lid so I can depend on airlock/blow off activity as a reliable indicator of fermentation. Normally, I get small bubbles at the six to eight hour mark and by 14-16 hours, it's going strong.

On this occasion, there was no activity for the first 36 hours and I was considering pitching a packet of backup dry yeast. Then, I noticed the first signs of activity. After 48 hours, it was going strong.

Now I'm getting a very strong sulfur smell which seems unusual for WLP001. I've never noticed it before with this yeast and looking online, I don't find many examples of others experiencing it either. I thought maybe I ordered California Ale V by mistake because I noticed chatter about suffer smells and that yeast but I checked my order and it was 001. It's possible they sent me the wrong vial and I didn't notice but that seems like a long shot.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I had a bad vial or if this is just something that happens on occasion.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Back