Bad starter, I think I really screwed it up this time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
So I was pumped last night. I'd used a diffuser, so that I didn't scorch any wort for the first time, boil went great, etc.

I got my wort cooled off and pitched my starter in. After I did, I happened to smell the empty bottle. It had a sour and very strong alcohol smell.

It was California ale yeast. I had used a starter about 4 weeks ago and left some in the bottom of the glass. So I put more malt and hops in and got another starter going. It's been in the fridge for about 3 weeks.

What do you all think? Ruined beer? Any chance of saving it? I looked this morning and it hadn't even raised the cap on my airlock at all. Could I get some good yeast and pitch and maybe save it.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
It was California ale yeast. I had used a starter about 4 weeks ago and left some in the bottom of the glass. So I put more malt and hops in and got another starter going. It's been in the fridge for about 3 weeks.

I would have stepped up the starter the day before.
Yeast pitched right out of the fridge can go into thermal shock (per White Labs).

The yeast may still be asleep, wait another 24 hrs..
Repitch if necessary, dry or liquid.

I'll bet the alcohol smell was just the yeast doing it's job!!

:mug:

Mudd said:
I would have stepped up the starter the day before.
Yeast pitched right out of the fridge can go into thermal shock (per White Labs).

The yeast may still be asleep, wait another 24 hrs..
Repitch if necessary, dry or liquid.

I'll bet the alcohol smell was just the yeast doing it's job!!

:mug:

I forgot to mention that I did get it out of the fridge about 2 hours before pitching. It had even started a little activity. I sure hope you're right. We always get more nervous when it's OUR babies having the problem, than if it was someone elses. I like to hear your calmer assessment.

After three weeks in the fridge, the yeast probably could have used 8 hours or so at room temperature to avoid shocking. I doubt you had many live cells at this point, so it will take a long time for the yeast to re-populate and start the ferment. Give it another 24 hours, then repitch if there is no airlock activity.

david_42 said:
After three weeks in the fridge, the yeast probably could have used 8 hours or so at room temperature to avoid shocking. I doubt you had many live cells at this point, so it will take a long time for the yeast to re-populate and start the ferment. Give it another 24 hours, then repitch if there is no airlock activity.

This method is known as cold pitching. Check it out. Works just fine. (Fridge to fermenter with little to no warm up).

Back