Bad sample from fermenter when chilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levin77

Reaction score
After 5 days in the primary I decided to do a diacetyl test and check the SG while I was at it. I did the diacetyl test and neither sample was buttery, but when I tasted both chilled samples, they tasted bad. It wasn't a dicetyl flavor. I can't really describe it, but it just had a strong bite to it. However, when I tasted the fermenter temp (68F) sample I took for the SG reading, it tasted great. Any reason why the chilled sample would taste so bad? I've only brewed 6 batches so I'm new and this was my first experience tasting a chilled sample after only 5 days. I realize it's young, but the contrast was surprising. Any ideas? Thanks,

American Wheat AG
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
1L starter
Primary Fermentation currently at 5 days: 70F for first 2 days, 68F for the next 3.

You're at the very high end of the yeast's range (68-70 F) assuming 70 is your ambient temp, the beer will be about 4 F higher because the yeast give off heat. Other than that -- don't worry. It's way too soon to be able to tell. I've had many beers that taste horrible at five days turn out well. The yeast will keep doing their thing, hop particles will keep dropping out of suspension, etc.

Thanks for the response! At this point all I can do is ride it out and see what develops. I'll learn something one way or the other!

After 5 days in the primary I decided to do a diacetyl test and check the SG while I was at it. I did the diacetyl test and neither sample was buttery, but when I tasted both chilled samples, they tasted bad. It wasn't a dicetyl flavor. I can't really describe it, but it just had a strong bite to it. However, when I tasted the fermenter temp (68F) sample I took for the SG reading, it tasted great. Any reason why the chilled sample would taste so bad? I've only brewed 6 batches so I'm new and this was my first experience tasting a chilled sample after only 5 days. I realize it's young, but the contrast was surprising. Any ideas? Thanks,

American Wheat AG
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
1L starter
Primary Fermentation currently at 5 days: 70F for first 2 days, 68F for the next 3.

I think you are noticing something we would call yeast bite. At 5 days you have a tremendous amount of yeast suspended in the beer.

Could be yeast bite, but my money would be on fusels/excessive esters due to too-high fermentation temperature. Was 70° F the ambient or was that the fermenter temperature?

Give it some time. The last couple beers I have done were had an odd taste at bottling, not bad but not what I was shooting for, and after a couple weeks in the bottle, mighty tasty beer. I got NB Ginger Snap Saison for Christmas and even at bottling I thought I might have beer that was going down the drain but now it is my favorite I have brewed so far

The temp was from one of those stick-on-the-side thermometer strips, it was matching the ambient in that room. Thanks fro the input!

Back