Bad beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wafflesbr0wn

Reaction score
Is ur beer bad when it has a slight vinager taste to it? It has been carb and conditioning for 7 days now. Is batch bad? Or do I need a little more time. It an American Cream Ale

It could be a sign of that a wild yeast or other bacteria is taking hold - that will develop over time and get worse, not better.

It doesn't taste bad. It has the slightest vinegar taste to it. And, it doesn't smell bad either

you have nothing to lose by waiting in case what you're tasting is just green (young) beer, but a vinaigre taste is typically caused by an acetobacter infection. it's a bad thing and it won't get any better.

*IF* it is aceto, you have my sympathies - i might be dealing with a possible aceto infection myself.

let them go another couple of weeks and try them. Also, if its bottled, you might want to toss them into some type of plastic container, should you have an infection. If its infected you could be creating bottle bombs. Id let them ride a couple more weeks in a rubbermaid container and then try one.

there is no way of fixing an infection. once it's in there, it's in there. it's like mixing cream into your coffee - you can't go in and remove the cream once it's been added. certain flaws will mellow out with time, but a vinaigre flavor (acetic acid) doesn't go away.

you won't get sick by drinking it. the worse that will happen is that you'll drink bland, or bad, tasting beer.

learn from this, be more diligent in your sanitation practices, and try try again.

Back