Bad Beer from Liquor Store - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleco

Reaction score
So I just got home from the liquor store with some beer and as I was loading them into the fridge, I noticed one of the bottles only has about 1/8 of the bottle filled. The cap seems to not be the issue, but the cardboard carrier and the bottom of the bottle are covered in mold.

Obviously, I want to return the bad bottle for a new one, but do I need to keep all of the others to return as a complete package? I really wanted to have a beer tonight!

Ok. It's unfortunate that the liquor store is pretty far away :(. Until tomorrow, I suppose!

Thanks for the responses!

I know that in Indiana it is illegal to return anything purchased from a liquor store. Even if it is defective. You can take it back and leave it on the counter but by law they are not allowed to give you your money back. Some stores don't care about the law and will let you return obviously defective stuff but that law is just another example of how stupid liquor laws are in Indiana. I don't know how it is where you live though.

You may not be able to get your money but you should be able to exchange it for another beer. Otherwise that's bad local laws.

If the store won't take it back often the distributor or the brewers will. They want return customers.

If you are talking about 1 beer then I would just bring it in next time you buy a case and show the guy. I'm sure any reasonable person would give you another brew. Not worth the trip for one brew IMO.

Bring it back and hopefully they will give you some new brew. My local store owner gave me a free bottle of Bell's Third Coast yesterday for no reason. After giving me samples of New Hollands Beer Bourbon and Boulevards Sixth Glass. Hopefully your store is as helpful! Good luck

Otherwise that's bad local laws.

Like I said.. Indiana has some wacky alcohol laws. Not as prohibitive as some states but just as strange. When I was the manager of a liquor store I let people exchange obviously defective products but I could've seen jail time if Excise ever caught me. No joke.

Back