bacterial infection in my watermelon wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdrop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 166262

I think my watermelon wine has an infection. It has a slight film and filmy white spots on it.

How do I fix it? Add k meta? It has not finished clearing, if I add k meta, how much do I add, and do I need to add more once its cleared

Not much you can do. It looks like you have it in a bucket, with a wide headspace, so it's just a matter of time before it gets mold or infected unfortunately.

You can try using a big dose of k-meta, and racking to a carboy and topping up and hoping that does the trick, but I wouldn't be very hopeful of that fixing it.

It's much easier to prevent an infection than to get rid of one!

Well that bites. I guess that's what happens when you stay in the primary too long.

Well, if the k meta doesn't work, is it still drinkable, or do I need to toss it?

What about the bucket, do I need to toss it, or is it salvageable?

Well that bites. I guess that's what happens when you stay in the primary too long.

Well, if the k meta doesn't work, is it still drinkable, or do I need to toss it?

What about the bucket, do I need to toss it, or is it salvageable?

It'll probably start to taste pretty bad, so if you want to drink it before that it would be ok if it tastes ok.

The bucket is probably salvageable. You can clean it well, and then use some bleach water or something and then rinse it with hot water until it doesn't smell like bleach anymore.

OK. One more question. What if I dropped the PH really low with an acid blend. Would that help? And if so, how low would I need to drop it to do any good?

OK. One more question. What if I dropped the PH really low with an acid blend. Would that help? And if so, how low would I need to drop it to do any good?

I don't think so. Some infections themselves lower pH (like mother of vinegar, lactobacillus, etc) and they do quite well at a low pH environment.

Back