Bacteria during wort aeration ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbiadya

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and had this question on my mind . While transfering the cooled wort to the primary fermenter and aerating the wort in the primary fermenter bucket (before adding the yeast), the wort is exposed to air and thus the air-borne bacterias. So, wouldn't the bacteria spoil the wort then ? I mean, after going through all the work of sanitizing the equipment, boiling etc. just to make sure we protect the wort from bacterias, this seems quiet counter intuitive. I think I am missing something on how the bacteria will not affect the wort at that temperature while the wort is between 60 F - 70 F and being aerated. Any insight on what really happens and prevents the wort from going bad at this stage and temperature ? Its not like bacterias are dormant in this temperature range.

I believe the simple answer is that by pitching a healthy and proper amount of yeast they will overwhelm the bacteria present.

My opinion is that sanitizing the equipment is more about protecting the wort from colonies of bacteria which are well-established enough to really start taking off before the yeast creates a hostile environment for them. The individual organisms floating around in the air on their own, during the time period of transfering/aerating the wort, are highly unlikely to have enough density to build up in the wort enough to create a colony or cause any problems.

I am new to home brewing and had this question on my mind . While transfering the cooled wort to the primary fermenter and aerating the wort in the primary fermenter bucket (before adding the yeast), the wort is exposed to air and thus the air-borne bacterias. So, wouldn't the bacteria spoil the wort then ? I mean, after going through all the work of sanitizing the equipment, boiling etc. just to make sure we protect the wort from bacterias, this seems quiet counter intuitive. I think I am missing something on how the bacteria will not affect the wort at that temperature while the wort is between 60 F - 70 F and being aerated. Any insight on what really happens and prevents the wort from going bad at this stage and temperature ? Its not like bacterias are dormant in this temperature range.

Remember the difference between sanitizing and sterilizing. we are not working in a sterile environment. There is a near certainty of some minor introduction of organisms. It's just unavoidable. However you are about to introduce a very very large number (hundreds of billions) of yeast cells and these will out compete a few hundred or even a few hundred thousand bacteria that will get in as you transfer and aerate. Any that do get in will soon find themselves in an environment filled with alcohol and an quickly dropping pH which will further prevent them from thriving.

Don't worry about it. The key to sanitizing is to keep bacteria populations low so the yeast out-compete them. We generally go over the top with sanitizing, but better safe than dump a batch.

Back