Backsweetening kegged cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently kegged some spiced cider. Poured myself a glass to taste last night and decided it needed some backsweetening.
I have some diluted honey (it was crystallized and I tried to heat it in a water bath, but apparently caused a small leak and the honey.mixed with water.)
Anyway, since that backsweetening went so well, I thought I might mix up some honey and pour some cider into a pot and mix the two, then pour the mixture back into the keg.
What do you guys think???

That's fine if the cider is stabilized with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate first. That's what I do all the time. Or, if the cider will be consumed before the yeast would eat the added sugar, you can skip stabilizing. My sweetener of choice is FAJC.

I did it this morning. I added sorbate (1 Tbsp ... instructions said 1/2 tsp per gallon, so I went ahead and rounded up to 1 Tbsp.) Also dissolved another campden tablet in the warming cider. Took almost 60 Oz of honey to backsweeten to the point I was happy.

Latest posts

Back