Back to homebrewing after 6yrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUinDC

Reaction score
Hey all! Here's a quick synopsis of my homebrewing history:

- Got into homebrewing in 2004 a bit after graduating college, just as a curiosity
- Brewed a terrible extract "Corona Clone" that ended up way too carbonated
- Decided to brew a stout because of the lack of carbonation (or almost)
- Brewed 3-4 good batches
- Moved to a very very small apartment with my wife, and gave my equipment to a friend to store.
- Lost touch with friend, turns out he re-deployed to Iraq
- Lost equipment in the "move"

I've seen some great videos of all-grain brewing... and now that I'm a little further down my career ($$) and have an actual house, I'm thinking of getting back into the hobby. Hopefully my wife is cool with buying a kegerator... :)

Cheers!

I had a 10 year "lapse" but I've been brewing steady for 3 years, and have moved to partials and all grain. (My partials are only from .5 to 5lbs of DME to hit my target OG on beers over 5.7%) Building a 2 tap kegerator from a scratch and dent Danby DAR482 BLS I picked up off ebay for $109 (2 small dings and dents 1 on hidden side and 1 on top back corner). Next build is a 10gal mash tun, and possibly an insulated 5 gallon sparge tank.

I'm currently using 5 gallon buckets with a 5 gallon sparge tank both insulated with sleeping bags. Hey it works... but it's a true 5 gallon bucket and my limit for grains is about 12lbs. a 5 Gallon rubbermaid supposedly can hold a few more pounds... so I figured for the price going to a 10gallon is the way to go.

Welcome Back, and happy brewing!

- Moved to a very very small apartment with my wife, and gave my equipment to a friend

Welcome Back! Im still kicking it with the rents! Getting Married Next September....Losing brewspace is my worst fear! My soon-to-be living arrangements will probably not accommodate brewing :(

I had a 10 year "lapse" but I've been brewing steady for 3 years, and have moved to partials and all grain. (My partials are only from .5 to 5lbs of DME to hit my target OG on beers over 5.7%) Building a 2 tap kegerator from a scratch and dent Danby DAR482 BLS I picked up off ebay for $109 (2 small dings and dents 1 on hidden side and 1 on top back corner). Next build is a 10gal mash tun, and possibly an insulated 5 gallon sparge tank.

I'm currently using 5 gallon buckets with a 5 gallon sparge tank both insulated with sleeping bags. Hey it works... but it's a true 5 gallon bucket and my limit for grains is about 12lbs. a 5 Gallon rubbermaid supposedly can hold a few more pounds... so I figured for the price going to a 10gallon is the way to go.

Welcome Back, and happy brewing!

Sounds awesome! I need to get a kegerator, and probably do a couple extract brews to get back on track :) then I'll have to figure out an all-grain setup that will work for me. There are so many cool setups on these boards! I saw a guy with a corny keg at a tailgate today... turns out he brewed it all grain. Must be a sign......

Welcome Back! Im still kicking it with the rents! Getting Married Next September....Losing brewspace is my worst fear! My soon-to-be living arrangements will probably not accommodate brewing :(

Brett, I see that you're in McLean... real close to me in Fairfax. Is there a homebrew club in the area that yyoure a part of? It'd be great to watch/help someone on brew day.

Brett, I see that you're in McLean... real close to me in Fairfax. Is there a homebrew club in the area that yyoure a part of? It'd be great to watch/help someone on brew day.

I am not a part of the club, but there are the Wort Hogs that meet in Herndon on the second Wednesday every month... I have been meaning to check them out, but never had. From their site, it looks like each meeting members have a mini competition on a certain style!

Latest posts

Back