Back to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uniconfis

Reaction score
Hi guys! I was once an active participant in this site. But brewing kinda went to the wayside for a few years due to school, work, marriage, and now a baby girl. Still brewed on avg one batch every 3 months. But didn't really invest much time on expanding my knowledge. So I'm coming back and hopefully will remain.

Right now I brew PM within a 500sqft Condo with my wife and child. I'm happy to say I'm done with bottling. Converted a Oster mini fridge for kegging. My current setup does not support lagering but I'm not a big fan of lagered beers anyway. I love most varieties of ales and generally lean toward IIPA. My next brew session will most likely be trying to emulate Bell's Hopslam. Currently I have an Imperial Brown kegged. That beer was received from a APA rally at Surly brewery in MN. Surly brewed up the wort and gave each member 5 gallons with a packet of yeast. Very cool brewery. In the carboys I have a IIPA and a porter waiting to be kegged.

Anyway, happy to be back to the home brew community.

Welcome back! Hopslam! would be hard to do due to the amount of hops and malt it will take, but I think you could do it. I am also looking to duplicate that recipe. So far I have not found a recipe that people seem to think is close. Time to start looking again, and maybe try my hand at it. I might try asking the brewery again. Last time they said they don't give that info out.

Welcome back! Hopslam! would be hard to do due to the amount of hops and malt it will take, but I think you could do it. I am also looking to duplicate that recipe. So far I have not found a recipe that people seem to think is close. Time to start looking again, and maybe try my hand at it. I might try asking the brewery again. Last time they said they don't give that info out.

It will not be a cheap beer. I've made variations of the Elder the Pliny clones. That recipe called for 11oz of hops. So shouldn't be anything new. But I figure @ $16.50/6-pack of Hopslam, can't afford not to make it myself. Cause I can't just not buy it you know :p

I've been looking around for the recipe and everyone seems to have their own idea. And many times each recipe is completely different from each other. I'll keep you in mind if I have any success.

Welcome back!

Thanks! Plan to stick around this time. Or at least until the next live changing scenario occurs :)

Welcome back.

I'm kind of the same way. Once I started really getting into different kinds of beers I found that 10 bucks a six pack was going to put me in the poor house. I know homebrewing isn't significantly cheaper because once you get started, least for me, I can't stop buying stuff and I found that I drink more now... LOL

Anyway, there is something about the community and passion of homebrewing that makes me want to drink homebrew more than anything else!

Welcome back and good luck!

Welcome back.

I'm kind of the same way. Once I started really getting into different kinds of beers I found that 10 bucks a six pack was going to put me in the poor house. I know homebrewing isn't significantly cheaper because once you get started, least for me, I can't stop buying stuff and I found that I drink more now... LOL

Yep, ever since I started taking brewing seriously I just can't stomach cheep beer. So now I figure if I can brew 5 gallons for approx $40, that's going to cut my beer consumption costs in half. Well, almost. Guess now with the keggerator I know drink pints rather than 12oz bottles. Oh well :) Right now I'm also pretty happy with the partial mash setup so hopefully I can keep my equipment expenditures down as well.

Ah, Fargo, ND is were my brewing career began. Started of making wine from grape juice concentrates and then moving on to beer kits. I was 21 and everything I made in Fargo was awful. Then after a 7 year (???) hiatus got back and actually started to learn how to brew. Much better results this time around :) This site really helped me out.

Back