Back in the Game - Austin, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortageeExpress

Reaction score
I started brewing in '97, while living in Atlanta and averaged 5 gallons a week for a couple of years. I did about 10 extract batches before switching to all grain.

I moved to Austin in 2000 and life got in the way of my brewing obsession until 2002, when I brewed a bunch and started kegging.

Got married in '03 and have brewed sporadically since then. Now, I'm back and planning on getting into a regular brewing schedule again.

After reading a bunch of threads over the past couple of days, I have to compliment the mods and members of this site. It's an amazing resource, which is a direct result of all who participate.

Cheers!

Welcome to HBT.

Are you still doing All Grain?

What styles do you like? Setup?

Yes, still all grain. I lean toward hoppy ales, especially IPAs, but my next brew will be a Belgian Wit, and the current keg (and last, until I brew some more) is a Heffe.

I have a jury rigged setup with a cooler mash tun with a PVC manifold. Three-tier, gravity, using whatever is available currently (last brew was: HLT balanced precariously on top of my grill lid -> mash tun on chair next to the grill -> boil on cajun cooker on the patio w/ immersion chiller). I ferment in 6.5 glass and secondary in either 5 glass or soda keg.

Next projects:
build a wood three-tier system that will be more stable than the current setup.
Ferment in a dead fridge in the garage to help to stabilize temp and keep the smell away from SWMBO.

Welcome back to the obsession. :rockin:

Austin is a great place to be for a homebrewer, with Austin Homebrew supply just up Burnet Road, a great local brew club, and a bunch of :drunk: HBT members who sometimes like to get together. :D

My Wit recipe is in my dropdown. It's pretty similar to (512) Wit if you have had it.

What part of town do you live in?

Welcome back to the obsession. :rockin:

Austin is a great place to be for a homebrewer, with Austin Homebrew supply just up Burnet Road, a great local brew club, and a bunch of :drunk: HBT members who sometimes like to get together. :D

My Wit recipe is in my dropdown. It's pretty similar to (512) Wit if you have had it.

What part of town do you live in?

Thanks for the pointer to the Wit recipe. That looks very nice. I live in Cedar Park.

Welcome back! These haven't been the best few months for hopheads, but it looks like the availability is starting to turn the corner, maybe.

Back