Back from hiatus!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
Hello to all! It has been a few years and not that I was super active way back when, but had to recreate my account. I only did extract brewing and now I am planning on going to more advanced techniques. I have about 7-8 months of planning to do before I am able to purchase and I have done countless hours of research. Which of course just confused me and had me doing more reading.

Anyway, I plan on putting my plan in a post with hope to receive some good suggestions. Peer feedback is always good!

Welcome back, hilljack. If you want assistance or have questions, feel free to ask. However many years you've been gone, brewing has changed a LOT. I took over a year break a few years ago due to selling my house, packing, checking out places to move to, then moving and setting back up, and I couldn't believe how much had changed in that short of a time.

No doubt. I have found many articles on electric brewing that are older than when I started and I at first thought this was some new way of doing things. Maybe I just don't pay attention. Good thing now is I am about to have all day, every day to get this right and make it a true hobby!

Welcome , While there are lot's of new brew systems you can indulge in ... it's still possible to brew with minimum investment ...A brewpot and a bag and a heat source and you can make beer. I do all grain 5 gallon batches on my stovetop with a kettle and a bag and an igloo cooler i found in a barn. I'm not saying not to get fancy but you can start all grain now with minimum investment till you figure out what you want. Cheers

Welcome , While there are lot's of new brew systems you can indulge in ... it's still possible to brew with minimum investment ...A brewpot and a bag and a heat source and you can make beer. I do all grain 5 gallon batches on my stovetop with a kettle and a bag and an igloo cooler i found in a barn. I'm not saying not to get fancy but you can start all grain now with minimum investment till you figure out what you want. Cheers
Thanks. My space will be limited until I end up in my forever home. I would rather dream big and realize I can scale down than to think minimal and wished I had gone bigger.

Welcome back @hilljack13. You are on the right course to get back into this hobby. And since you are also seeking your forever home, I suggest you figure out what you want your brewery to consist of and seek a home to accommodate your intentions. Don't rush in. Decide if you want to do a 3 vessel all grain system or an all in one, electric or gas and even how much refrigeration space you will need. Then consider those decisions while home shopping. There is a thread here for building a home brewery. Check it out for inspiration.

Good luck establishing your future brewery.

What TMurph said. I'm already in my "forever home" (wife says we're gonna die in this house... I don't think that's a threat 😁) and I really don't have a great option for setting up a brewery.

My wife loves this house, but if we'd moved a few years later (or gotten into brewing a few years earlier), we would have bought a different place. Even my wife agreed. (We brew together, so she'd prefer a better setup, too. Love that woman!)

In any case, welcome back!

Back