Baby fireflies???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Over the course of this spring and summer I've found plenty of things eating my hops leaves. Slugs, fuzzy white bugs (aphids?), etc.

Today I found what looks like little baby fireflies/lightning bugs on the undersides of my hop leaves. There was only one per leaf, but they were on like half a dozen separate ones.

What I'm wondering is are there any insect pests that look like baby fireflies in Pennsylvania?

I ask because the first thing I noticed was that none of the leaves they were on had any bite marks or blemishes. Second, I looked up firefly diet, and it says they eat other insects, which of course would be really good for my hops.

So, if they are actually just baby fireflies, I want to leave them. But if they are some other kind of pest that just looks like a firefly, I want to get rid of them.

Any input would be great (sorry, no camera to take pics).

Thanks!

I just got my cell phone back, so I'll try to post a pic tomorrow, assuming they are still there. Thanks. :mug:

Back