avoiding sediment at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wodwo

Reaction score
My current brew is in a 20L jerrycan and the hops etc sediment at the bottom is thick enough to be in line with the tap.

I bottle straight from primary, out the tap with a bottling attachment, and was wondering how I can avoid the chunky stuff that currently comes out when I run the tap? Like a bit of gauze somewhere? Or would that just clog?

Cheers!

Its a container like this, and the sedimen deposit is almost over the whole mouth of tap (though this pic doesn't have a tap on it)

9996N-20L-Cube-Angle-500.jpg

Try a block of wood to raise the the tap side of the fermentor. The trub layer may redistribute to seek the new level, leaving the tap clear. First bottle may have some trub if the tap filled with sediment.
Might take some vibration to get the trub layer to move if it is compacted.
The next time you fill the fermentor, start with the blocking under the tap side.

What if you put an elbow pointing upwards on the interior?
You could customize the height to avoid the sediment.

You could siphon to a bottling bucket & then you could batch prime your beer, and avoid the slurry ending up in your bottles

Try a block of wood to raise the the tap side of the fermentor. The trub layer may redistribute to seek the new level, leaving the tap clear. First bottle may have some trub if the tap filled with sediment.
Might take some vibration to get the trub layer to move if it is compacted.
The next time you fill the fermentor, start with the blocking under the tap side.
This is what I would suggest as well if you don't want to go the route of the bottling bucket. An elbow might work as well, but it will probably be more difficult to empty most of the beer out since it will be very tricky to get the top of the elbow just above the top of the trub. You'll end up with a pocket of beer that is trapped between the top of the elbow and the trub/yeast cake.

If you use the method above, you can always tilt it back down as you get close to the bottom in order to get nearly all the beer out.

Do you use a fining agent such as Irish Moss, Sparkelloid, etc. in your BK? I guess the real question is, do you have the equipment to cold crash your jerry can for three or so days before bottling? Either way I do agree with putting a block of word or the equivalent under the tap side. I must have missed something; you say you go from primary to bottling, what about priming for carbonation? Are you individually priming the bottles?
As far as the boatload of trub goes, (because you don't mention it) you could use gauze, or cheesecloth, or many other types of media to "filter" the wort between the BK and the fermenter. There are many of us on this site that strain the wort as it is going into the fermenter. I am using paint strainers for mine, and my loss of wort going into the fermenter is less than 2 ounces. My loss into my bottling bucket is also negligible.

Back