average age of a home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old are you

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30-35

• 35-40

• 40+

Results are only viewable after voting.
LOL at the 40+ age category. I hope OP's job is not in market research.

I'm 55 and I brewed my first all-grain beer in 1991 when the OP was literally in diapers.

LOL at the 40+ age category. I hope OP's job is not in market research.

I'm 55 and I brewed my first all-grain beer in 1991 when the OP was literally in diapers.

I turn 50 next month and did my first batch of extract brew way back in '94.... All-Grain a year later...:mug:

There's lots of old Homebrewers out there that used the Blue Ribbon cans prior to the 1978 legalization. I made my first batch with my cousin around 1968.

I am a member of the early fifty-something cohort. I started home brewing in early 1993. I need to find the exact date. I have brewing logs that date back to my first batch.

43. Brewing for about a year. Wanted to brew sooner but had trouble making time with kids and such. They are a bit older now so it works out. I brewed an extract kit for my first brew (last Father's Day ) then two partial mashes. Been doing all grain ever since.

There was that time in college that I threw bread yeast into water with sugar and fruit. I don't think that counted as "brewing"....

Late 30s here. Been at it for 1.5 years. Would have started doomed but live in MS and it was only legalized recently.

^^^^Ah-ha! Yet another dude on the board that's OLDER than me! Cool beans! Where are you at in central Illinois???

glenn514:mug:

54. Started in '92, didn't brew much in the 2000's, restarted last year. Trying to do about 4-6 batches a year.

58. Started brewing in '98 when wife bought me a decent starter kit from LBS. Skipped a few years in early 2000s, but the built a nice brew stand and started doing 10 gal. batches. This is a real enjoyable hobby. I now have a brew-buddy who's 60.

At 21 I started making wine. At 40 got my first Mr. Beer kit. 3 months later moved to all grain brewing and never looked back. I'm 44 now.

I'm 67 & started w/ AG about 4 years ago. I did do wine back in the early '70's quit , but have started back w/ that as well. Just bottled my first batch, a NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1982started making wine, 2004, extract brewing, 2014, all grain brewing, and love it. That's 32 years of making something good to drink!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Forty two and been brewing on and off for 26 years, grain for the last 19 - since I had a kitchen to myself.

Yes part of the appeal was easy access to beer at 16 there being age limits on the sale of malt extract and yeast, that and I was brought up in Hereford surrounded by hop fields and cider orchards.

Still trying to wrap my head around turning 50. I tend to think like I'm still 30; though I often feel like I'm 80. Been making wine/mead for 14 years & brewing beer for 8.
Regards, GF.

Back