autosiphon temp tolerance? brewing right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptain_karma

Reaction score
okay, so me and Rewster are brewing his dark belgian strong ale. We had a great mash and sparge, got everything into our boil kettle, added the first hops, and realized we didn't put the hop-back (in this case a bazooka screen) into the kettle. The wort is already boiling, so reaching in there and screwing the screen onto the spigot is obviously not a choice.

My question is, if I whirlpool the beer, can I use a fermtech autosiphon to pull the liquid off the edge. That is to say, is the plastic it is made out of foodsafe at boiling temperatures?

If not, any other suggestions for straining the hops out before we run everything through the chiller?

it's not that I'm worried about my autosiphon melting, it's more an issue of will it release harmful/taste spoiling polymers into my wort.

Aren't you cooling in the kettle though before doing a transfer or do you have a counter flow chiller?

kaptain_karma said:
The wort is already boiling, so reaching in there and screwing the screen onto the spigot is obviously not a choice.

My question is, if I whirlpool the beer, can I use a fermtech autosiphon to pull the liquid off the edge. That is to say, is the plastic it is made out of foodsafe at boiling temperatures?

If not, any other suggestions for straining the hops out before we run everything through the chiller?

I've done it before. My Auto Siphon and my beer both seemed no worse for wear. I'm still using the same siphon.

SwAMi75 said:
I've done it before. My Auto Siphon and my beer both seemed no worse for wear. I'm still using the same siphon.

I wish I could say the same! I just finished building a counter flow chiller and I thought I'd test it out with some hot water. My new auto-siphon is now ruined. The inner tube is warped. The little plastic one-way valve at the bottom came out, and the rubber stopper as well as the seal around the piece at the bottom that holds the valve show signs of melting around the edges.

The chiller works like a charm though!

I just wish I hadn't spend the ten bucks on the siphon. Are there higher quality auto siphons that don't melt? How long do you wait for the wort to "chill" before you actually run it through the chiller? Do I have to just start the siphon and then hold the pressure while I swap out my ten dollar piece of equipment with a cheap racking cane? (I don't even know if that's physically possible)

Latest posts

Back