Automating and assuming SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
So right now I have my whole system set up with a brewtroller and electronic valves with hard plumbing. My question to you is.. How do you figure out what your mash gravity is going to be if I run full auto? I understand the principles, I just want to know if i can accurately hit my gravity assuming I enter the proper efficiency and mash out as a recipe calls for. am i just being dense this morning?

Any S.G. can be calculated if you know the malts in play, duration/temp of conversion, and your efficiency rate (how well you extract sugar from spent grain). Many brewing programs on (and offline) can accomplish this by simply entering in your batch size and grain bill. However, this isn't something you would/could automate per se. Also, keep in mind that if you really want to know your S.G. you will need to measure it after your boil with a refractometer or hydrometer. Incidentally, if you know your potential SG (calculated) and measure your actual SG, this is how you determine your % efficiency. Once you know your system efficiency it's pretty easy to plan recipes and come with a few tenths of a gravity point every time you brew. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Pete

Any S.G. can be calculated if you know the malts in play, duration/temp of conversion, and your efficiency rate (how well you extract sugar from spent grain). Many brewing programs on (and offline) can accomplish this by simply entering in your batch size and grain bill. However, this isn't something you would/could automate per se. Also, keep in mind that if you really want to know your S.G. you will need to measure it after your boil with a refractometer or hydrometer. Incidentally, if you know your potential SG (calculated) and measure your actual SG, this is how you determine your % efficiency. Once you know your system efficiency it's pretty easy to plan recipes and come with a few tenths of a gravity point every time you brew. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Pete

I currently check my potential gravity during mash, I just was wondering how accurate the calcs really are, and if I can trust hitting the recipe on the head knowing my efficiency and trusting my system. I guess the only way to achieve this would be to always use the same qt/lb ration on each batch. Time obviously plays a role. Currently I run it like most would without going full auto, more along the lines of checking my starch conversion with my refractometer and when I hit my target I sparge. I just cant fathom going ful auto yet because sometimes I hit my pre SG in 30 minutes and other times in 60. Different bathches of course.

I don't think you can ever go "full auto". Your efficiency can change batch to batch based on types of grains, mash temps, grain volume, etc. I target where I should be with each recipe, but I take a reading when my pre-boil volume has been met. If for some reason I have fallen short by several points, then I may continue to fly-sparge another gallon or so to increase the pre-boil volume. I will then boil it down a bit to get back to where my volume was supposed to start and at that point I start my boil timer and do hop additions and take a new pre-boil gravity reading. It doesn't happen often, but if it does, you can quickly work to correct the situation. I think correcting it pre-boil is the best way, but you can do DME/LME/sugar additions towards the end of the boil if you still need to up the gravity. If you're doing all grain brewing though, why would you want to do it that way?

Thats just it, full auto doesnt seam practical. I have poured $$$ into a full auto rig, and after the fact, i dont feel like its practical. the only thing I think is worth it was the volume measurments and PID. Everything else is to much nonsense. I may remove my 10 electronic valves and replace them with butterflys.

If you do end up getting rid of your valves, let me know.

I may be getting rid of a few down the road, If I switch im going to go with Diaphram valves. Ill let you know. (trying to buy a home and not keep burning money on brewing.)

I'm going the other way. Just bought a home and finally have the brew space I need for a full electric and mostly-automated system.

Back