Auto-siphoning clear wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I brew in a 10 gal. stock pot, use an immersion chiller, and then siphon the chilled wort to a carboy. I have made a few attempts keeping excessive trub, hop matter etc. out of the fermentor, however nothing has worked.
If I get a cone from whirl pooling it's ruined by agitation when chilling.
I've tried hop socks over the siphon tip and even used a nylon BIAB around the auto siphon however after a few minutes of clear wort transferring, the trub seemingly clogs the mesh and then the subsequent bubbling and finally a stuck siphon. Today I got about 3 sparkling gallons into the carboy before it quit on me and ended up having to pull the siphon out, remove the bag and then start again, risking exposure to the atmosphere and contamination. The next couple gallons of wort were horribly murky. l've accepted this as a consequence of my lo-fi brew set up and generally have pretty good results however I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of a better work around.

Forget the mesh bag and suck up all the cold break to the last ounce in the BK. It all settles out in the fermenter.
I use a 1/2" auto siphon and have been doing this for years.
I use a hop bag while brewing just to keep all the hop material out of the fermenter.
I don't even use that that little black cap that goes on the end

I have the hop catcher at the out flow end of the siphon when I rack to the bottling bucket from the fermentor. You could do the same from the boil kettle. Forget whirl pooling. Chill let everything settle then siphon. When the siphon starts picking up hop debris, quit.

No need to worry about transfering trub, it will settle out post fermentation. I drain all but a few ounces from my BK to the fermentor and I assure you it can still end up crysyal clear.

I have the hop catcher at the out flow end of the siphon when I rack to the bottling bucket from the fermentor. You could do the same from the boil kettle. Forget whirl pooling. Chill let everything settle then siphon. When the siphon starts picking up hop debris, quit.

Flat palm right to the forehead moment. I bought a second BIAB just to try siphoning clear. Stuffing in the carboy and then racking into it is the perfect solution I was dreaming of. Thanks Flars. I have been racking trub for a long time and was ok with it. Recently I got a chance to speak with a local brewer whom I really respect and was really generous with his time and knowledge,he was worried about just that part of my process. I have always found that there are cheap and creative ways to improve process. Thanks to everyone who chipped in! I'm now excited for my next brew day... Off on 3/20:rockin:

Latest posts

Back