Augustiner lager yeast US commercial examples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
hey folks- wondering if anyone knows some US commercial examples that use the augustiner lager yeast? hopefully a national brewery, or if not something out in the west

thx

I listened to The Session podcast today, the Russian River Brewing episode dated November 10, 2022. Vinnie talks about BSI Augustiner Lager yeast being used in STS Pils. He also mentioned they don't filter this beer, so the yeast is available in the bottle. I plan on banking some when I get ahold of it.

I don't know for sure which ones, but I do sometimes wonder whether the very best lagers are using Augustiner. Easy to find good USA lagers, but not easy to find USA lagers so excellent that they rival those from Germany.

I don't know of any off the top of my head, however Imperial Yeast's L17 Harvest is the Augustiner lager strain...lot easier than building up from dregs, if you can find a commercial brewery using it and not filtering the beer before canning/bottling. Supposedly Wyeast 2352-PC which is only available occasionally is too. Omega OYL-114 Bayern Lager claims to be from Munich's oldest brewery, which is Augustiner.

I don't know for sure which ones, but I do sometimes wonder whether the very best lagers are using Augustiner. Easy to find good USA lagers, but not easy to find USA lagers so excellent that they rival those from Germany.
Honestly, if you want a grainy and malty lager on the dryer side, pilsner or helles, I have yet to find a better yeast than Imperial harvest, which is supposed to be the Augustiner strain. It even works at room temperature. But beware of it's hop muting character. Everything not noble will be suppressed, but noble hops come through nicely. Bitterness is also as expected. It just somehow manages to turn expressive c-hops into neutral magnum, don't ask me how this works. I love this yeast!

hey folks- wondering if anyone knows some US commercial examples that use the augustiner lager yeast? hopefully a national brewery, or if not something out in the west

thx

A friend of mine used to be a production brewer for Oskar Blues. According to him, it was their house lager strain - even for their American-style lagers. I think he implied that their Light Lager uses it.

I've heard more local breweries near me saying kind of the same thing too and it seems that a lot basically go W-34/70 if they want faster and dry, Augustiner if they want it maltier or more complex. If you've got a local place that prides itself on being true-to-style or more complex and fanciful, feel free to try reaching out to the brewery side to see if they can give insight on that. Worse case, they ignore your email.

Back