August Amber - Please critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
Hey guys, could you please look over my recipe and make sure it looks legit? My last couple recipes have been a little disappointing (except my IPA), and I just want to make sure I end up with a good beer this time. I am going for an American Amber Ale similar to New Belgium's 2 Below - malty, rich, but with noticeable hop presence. I am using Magnums and Willamettes because that is what I have.

AUGUST AMBER
5.5 gal batch - 65% efficiency - est OG 1.054 - est ABV 5.2% est IBU 30.7
Mash @ 153º for 90 min

8lb 4oz 2-Row Pale
3lb Vienna
6oz Roasted Barley
6oz Crystal 120L
6oz Crystal 40L
3oz Biscuit Malt

60 min - 1oz Magnum @ 9%AA
15 min - 0.5oz Willamette @4.3%AA
5 min - 0.5oz Willamette @4.3%AA

SafeAle US-05 Yeast

I've not had the NB beer you reference, but generically, I'd dump the roasted barley and get about 1 - 1.5 lbs of crystal total.

Not sure about the hops since my first Willamette experience is in primary.

For more malt, sub Munich for the Vienna, but it is fine as-is too.

Why the 90 minute mash? 60 minutes should be plenty.

+1 on less roasted barley - 2-3 oz. should help get the color you want. I'd dump the 120 and 40 and just use 1lb of 60L.

I'd consider upping the Willamette additions to a full ounce each if your looking for more hop presence than a typical amber.

I have never used Honey Malt before - I assume that it gives a sweeter honey flavor? Duh? What other properties does the honey malt give?

So you guys think if I ramped up the Crystal 40L to 1 lb, and substituted some munich for vienna, that would help get the body and mouthfeel I am looking for? How much munich would you suggest?

I have never used Honey Malt before - I assume that it gives a sweeter honey flavor? Duh? What other properties does the honey malt give?

So you guys think if I ramped up the Crystal 40L to 1 lb, and substituted some munich for vienna, that would help get the body and mouthfeel I am looking for? How much munich would you suggest?

Well, to give an idea on the Munich, I am currently drinking a pale ale with 4 lbs 2-row and 4 lbs Munich. It is quite malty, but very good. I think you could sub out all of the Vienna for Munich and be quite happy.

Leaving the 120 as is and upping the 40 to a pound would be excellent IMO.

Honey malt is quite sweet. I would stick to the crystals and leave it at that personally. That's just my personal preference though.

I'd keep it simple. Whether it be cooking or brewing beer the more creative you try to get by mixing ingredients the easier chance you have to screw it up. I'd go with the 8 lb 2 row, 1-2 # munich, then 1-2# C60.

Definitely like AZ IPA said, up the Willamette's to increase the presence.

There seemed to be a pretty united consensus, so I made some slight changes. How do you think this will turn out?

AUGUST AMBER
5.5 gal - 65% efficiency - OG 1.055 - ABV 5.3% - IBU 34.6 - SRM 12º
Mash @ 153º for 90 min

8lb 2-Row Pale
3lb Munich
1lb Crystal 40L
6oz Crystal 120L
4oz Biscuit Malt

15 min - 1oz Willamette @4.3%AA
1 min - 1oz Willamette @4.3%AA

SafeAle US-05 Yeast

I like it - the grains at least. I hope I like the hops, too because I have a very similar recipe in primary now:)

From memory, mine is:

8 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
1/2 lbs C120
3/4 lbs C60
Magnum bitter
Willamette flavor/aroma

I know I love the grain bill. I've never used Willamette before.

Oh I love Willamettes. They are a real good all around american flavor/aroma hop. You can use them in pales, cream ales, lagers - anything really! Please keep me updated on how your recipe tastes BrewBrain. I will do the same once I brew mine (not for a couple weeks).

There seemed to be a pretty united consensus, so I made some slight changes. How do you think this will turn out?

AUGUST AMBER
5.5 gal - 65% efficiency - OG 1.055 - ABV 5.3% - IBU 34.6 - SRM 12º
Mash @ 153º for 90 min

8lb 2-Row Pale
3lb Munich
1lb Crystal 40L
6oz Crystal 120L
4oz Biscuit Malt

15 min - 1oz Willamette @4.3%AA
1 min - 1oz Willamette @4.3%AA

SafeAle US-05 Yeast

I'm still learning so these are basic questions...

8lb 2-row is your base malt, no question there
3lb Munich? Is this for body/consistency or smell?
Crystal for color?

Yeah, 2-row for base. The Munich is for richness and maltiness (think oktoberfest beers, Fat Tire), and it is also used as a base malt. The crystal is for color, body, mouthfeel and added sweetness. This is not going to be a dry beer, but a rich malty Amber warmer. I added a little biscuit for that bready, toasty flavor as well. I really am trying to go for something like a New Belgium 2 Below/Fat Tire'ish beer.

Yeah, 2-row for base. The Munich is for richness and maltiness (think oktoberfest beers, Fat Tire), and it is also used as a base malt. The crystal is for color, body, mouthfeel and added sweetness. This is not going to be a dry beer, but a rich malty Amber warmer. I added a little biscuit for that bready, toasty flavor as well. I really am trying to go for something like a New Belgium 2 Below/Fat Tire'ish beer.

ok. I think i'm understanding the beer/recipe.

I have one I'm working on that just has a base malt and one specialty grain (Crystal 15) with it being 12lbs base pale(2lbs to allow for efficiency as this is my first all grain) and 1lb of crystal. Thats it except for the hops.

just trying to figure out all the grain types.

ok. I think i'm understanding the beer/recipe.

I have one I'm working on that just has a base malt and one specialty grain (Crystal 15) with it being 12lbs base pale(2lbs to allow for efficiency as this is my first all grain) and 1lb of crystal. Thats it except for the hops.

just trying to figure out all the grain types.

This is an excellent way to start. you now have a very good base beer to use for your edumacation. Brew the same exact beer again, but throw in a different crystal. Then brew it again and throw in some Munich, again with some chocolate malt, etc...

That's what I did and it is a really good way to learn all the different flavors each grain brings to the table. Plus, if you start with a good recipe you like, and make small changes by adding or changing one ingredient at a time, you are likely to brew very good beers while learning.

I agree with trash heap. This is a good recipe for you to start then tweak to your likes later. You'll taste the flavor/aroma of each type of grain and hops in the final beer then adjust up or down depending on your preference.

Good luck!

Oh I love Willamettes. They are a real good all around american flavor/aroma hop. You can use them in pales, cream ales, lagers - anything really! Please keep me updated on how your recipe tastes BrewBrain. I will do the same once I brew mine (not for a couple weeks).

I'm gassing mine now. I took a sample (of course) before racking to the keg and I'm pretty excited to get this one flowing. It was honestly the best pre-carbed sample of beer I've ever tasted. My one concern is that it may be a touch too sweet for drinking more than a small sample. It should have enough carbonation to draw off a pint tonight:tank:

Please let me know how this is all carbed up! I am brewing mine on Friday and have made a couple small changes. I decided to sub Maris Otter for 2-row pale. Why? Well, I have never used Maris Otter before and wanted to give it a shot. I have read that it adds a little color and also a little more malty character over 2-row. The other change is that I am going to dry hop this with a little bit of Willamettes. I figure it might add that little extra aroma to intrigue people more.

What was your final gravity BrewBrain? Mine is supposed to be 1.016, but I am hoping I get it a bit lower (maybe 1.014).

Also, what temp did you mash at?

OK, the verdict is in - this is a very good beer:

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/30/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Quicksilver Home Brewery
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.50

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.58 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale (Fermentis #US-56) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.77 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.13 %
Bitterness: 35.1 IBU Calories: 279 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.8 SRM

I mashed at 153 - 154. That's standard for me with these.

The beer is still green at just under 5 weeks, but it tastes pretty darn good. If I tweak next time I'll probably sub a pound of Vienna for a pound of Munich to tone down the maltiness just a tad. It's great as-is, but I would prefer a little softer maltiness I think. Oh, minor, but I usually like to use flaked barley instead of carapils, but I was out of flaked barley.

This Willamette doesn't mask the malts quite as much as the Centennial and Cascade/Amarillo I've been using with similar malt bills. I like the Willamette better. It really compliments the malts rather than competing with them. I was worried it would be too sweet because I overshot my efficiency a bit and had a lower BU/GU ratio than normal for me, but it turned out fine. Maybe I need to aim lower from now on with Ambers? Dunno.

I definitely also like the dry hopping idea as I really don't have much hops aroma with mine. I'll probably shoot half an ounce of Willy in the next one for a few days.

Back