"AufDerHeide" label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheide

Reaction score
So since I'm one of those computer-illiterate people, I can't figure out how to post a picture of my label. However, I was able to add it to a little free website I have for my artwork. If you wanna do a little searching, here's where to find it: the website address is http://groups.msn.com/davesart. Once you get there, click on the "graphic design" tab on the left. It's the first picture (the one titled "beer label").

"AufDerHeide" is what my family's last name used to be until my grandpa changed it in the late '40's. It's German for "on the meadow". The pictures of the old German farmhouse up top and hops on the bottom are stolen off the internet, but everything else is original work (okay, the fonts were stolen from Photoshop).

Let me know what you think!
Dave

I posted it for you....

aufderheide20beer.jpg

Very, VERY nice!!!

Very nice and it looks professional ( other than all the disclaimers that aren't on it) You can be proud of this one . now if only I were that talented.:mug:

Thanks for all the comments. My wife made fun of me for making labels, but I told her it had to be done! No beer is complete until it has a label on it! I guess being an artist will do that to you.

I hand-drew the oval border and yellow banner and scanned them into Photoshop. Then I used Photoshop for everything else (adding the two "stolen off the net" pics, adding the lettering, creating the seal). I can't seem to figure out how to do a lot of drawing on Photoshop, so I find it easier and more successful to hand-draw a lot, and use Photoshop for the remaining things.

Very nice label .... I always feel so unworthy of you guys that have the ability to do more than just simple labels ....

Nice sheep!

Actually I like the label, but I like your other art even more. Very cool. Use some of that for your label! I am in the process of building a bottle silk screen jig. Your art would look really cool screened on a bottle.

You said "Auf der Heide" is what your family name "used" to be? What is it now?

In German, a "meadow" is actually called a "wies", "wiese", "wiesen", or "wies'n", which signifies a cleared field.

A "Heide" is more at an overgrown parcel of land with weeds and shrubs on it. The word is used mostly in the northern part of Germany near Denmark, where, there is a family name "van der Heide".

Could have been more at field workers (Peasants - don't get me wrong, most people who ever lived were/are peasants. There's nothing wrong about it). They could have been the "family" that cleared fields for farmers.

Any explanation is feasible. I find it interesting that your wrote "Aufderheide" as one word though. They are actually 3.

Interestingly enough, is your family Catholic or Jewish. The reason I ask is that a "heide" is also a "heathen" (anyone not Catholic or Jewish). My intent is to to p*ss you off, and I'm certainly not calling you a heathen (I don't know you well enough). Even the first Christians were called "heathens" by their contemporaries (you can see that the present-day definition did not apply at that time).

Isn't "HEIDE" a candy making family out of Chicago? Don't they make stuff like red hot dollars (rhd) and such. I think they got their start in "gummies" (goo-mee's), and RHD are gummies.

Later.

Brewpastor said:
Nice sheep!

Actually I like the label, but I like your other art even more. Very cool. Use some of that for your label! I am in the process of building a bottle silk screen jig. Your art would look really cool screened on a bottle.

I figured YOU would like the sheep! Thanks about the art compliments. I've kinda burned myself out on that whole theme (I've used it on everything), so I figured I'd go with something different for my label. Good luck with the screenprinting on the bottles, I thought that would be a fun project to do, but I'm too lazy.

homebrewer_99 said:
You said "Auf der Heide" is what your family name "used" to be? What is it now?

In German, a "meadow" is actually called a "wies", "wiese", "wiesen", or "wies'n", which signifies a cleared field.

A "Heide" is more at an overgrown parcel of land with weeds and shrubs on it. The word is used mostly in the northern part of Germany near Denmark, where, there is a family name "van der Heide".

Could have been more at field workers (Peasants - don't get me wrong, most people who ever lived were/are peasants. There's nothing wrong about it). They could have been the "family" that cleared fields for farmers.

Any explanation is feasible. I find it interesting that your wrote "Aufderheide" as one word though. They are actually 3.

Interestingly enough, is your family Catholic or Jewish. The reason I ask is that a "heide" is also a "heathen" (anyone not Catholic or Jewish). My intent is to to p*ss you off, and I'm certainly not calling you a heathen (I don't know you well enough). Even the first Christians were called "heathens" by their contemporaries (you can see that the present-day definition did not apply at that time).

Isn't "HEIDE" a candy making family out of Chicago? Don't they make stuff like red hot dollars (rhd) and such. I think they got their start in "gummies" (goo-mee's), and RHD are gummies.

Later.

All I know is the little bit of information I've heard from my dad. His dad was adopted, and in the late 1940's decided to shorten "AufDerHeide" to plain old "Heide". Apparently AufDerHeide (that is how my family spelled it, no spaces, and the A, D, and H capitalized) was too difficult to pronounce, so my grandpa shortened it. He died when my dad was only 6, so my dad doesn't know too much information either. As far as the translation, I could be wrong, I just go off of what my dad has always told me.

We are neither Jewish or Catholic. My family has pretty much all been German Lutherans (both sides of my family).

Yeah, I've seen the Heide name on candy, but since we've only been "Heide"s for two generations now, I wouldn't be any relation.

I wish I knew more about my father's side of the family (I know quite a bit about my mother's), but because of the whole adoption thing, and my grandpa dieing so young, my dad doesn't know much, which means I don't get to learn much.

I know what you mean about the family tree search. It seems the deeper I look the less I want to know.:confused:

That Lutheran thing there could explain the "heathen"...just joking. I am a great fan of Martin Luther. I've been to Wittemberg and the church where he posted his 95 Questions to the Clergy, and where he preached another 5 minute walk away. I've also been to Veste Coburg (Castle), more fort than castle where he held up for some time when the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the church were looking to remove his head. I lived in Bamberg (40 miles south) for 5 years. I was having lunch with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter on 9/11 when it came on the TV. But that's another story.

Alph-dare-hide-duh. Not difficult at all. (Just pronounce 1 "d" though).

I think it's great to have a good name.

Mine's "Elwell", British for "Keeper of the Well" as far as I can find out.

In 1998, my dad's church choir (he's the Minister of Music at his Lutheran church) when on a European Tour, and I got to tag along. 2 weeks in Hungary, Czech Republic, Austria and Germany - best trip and beer I've ever had. Anyway, we went on a whole "Martin Luther Tour" in Wittemberg and saw all that stuff too. I'm actually the "black sheep" of the family seeing that my wife and I belong to a non-denominational Christian church instead of Lutheran, but that too is another story.

Yeah, I have no problem with pronouncing "AufDerHeide", and my grandpa kinda failed - people have a hard enough time pronouncing "Heide" correctly. We get all kinds of mis-pronunciations.

A lot like "Frankenste"I"n" versus "Frankenst"e"in" (which technically would be spelled "Frankenstien" since the second vowel is pronounced).

Frankenstein, actually means the "castle of the Franks". It is located in Darmstadt just south of Frankfurt. I got pictures.:D

"Frankfurt" means "where the Franks crossed the river", or, in other words, "Frank's Crossing"

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I've traveled a lot over there.

Back