Auber JSL-73A timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the best way to figure it out is to download the manual. I THINK what they are trying to say is that you can program in the event (hop additions) as they appear on recipes. For example, I know some beginners that got really confused with something like the "5 minute addition" and added it 5 minutes into the boil vs. T-5. So, I'm hoping you can program 60min boil, 15min addition, 5 minute addition and then the timer runs for 45 and then another 10. If so, the programming would take some getting used to for me since I already set my simple countdown timers to alarm at the next addition.

The way I understood the manual was that you program your hop additions ( up to 9) for the time it needs to boil (ie 15min for the 15min addition). The top display shows the time left to the next addition while the bottom is the overall timer. I'm planing on getting one for my build, so I'll report back in a couple of months on how well it works.

I read the manual and the info on the site. It seems pretty straightforward. I think it would be useful for the boil and hop additions. I don't know if it's better for the mash or other uses of a brewing setup (sous for example).

Some months ago Suyi of Auberins asked for my feedback on this thing so I had him make a few changes (like up the events to 9). The thing was already designed and being tested - he send me the manual and asked for general feedback.

The big thing I like over the timer I use instead of this one (and the main reason I chose it over any of the Auber timers) is the 4 discrete time set buttons that are used to change the time. It's quick and easy. On his other timers you have a change button to cycle from 0-9 and a shift button to move to the right. So it results in more key presses. In this new one since everything is minutes (no seconds or hours) the two buttons are up/down and you affect the whole time and the time change accelerates if you hold the button down longer. It's a personal preference, but I hate these sorts accelerating buttons. I always overshoot and end up having to click the button 15 times to get to where I really want to be. ;) Suyi tells me that to go to 4 discrete buttons would require a complete chassis redesign (as you'd expect, the same chassis is used for multiple devices - only the programming changes).

It depends on the brewer but I also kind of like the simplicity of not programming in events in timer to remind me when to do hops. I’d be worried that I’d screw up the programming and miss an event or put in the wrong time so I'd constantly be looking at the paper recipe anyway. During the boil I’m usually cleaning out the MLT, cleaning the fermenters, etc, so I’m usually around and have (knock on wood) yet to miss adding hops in about 100 of batches now – and I do like my hoppy beers! Some of them have had 6-7 kettle additions.

But that's just me - I don't like automated systems where you do pre-programming of some sort. To me that seems two things you have to check then: You have to make sure you did the pre-programming correctly and then during the brew I'd be extra careful wondering "did I program that correctly?" and always checking the time and looking at my recipe to see if I missed anything.

I like having the recipe printed out in front of me that I know when to add stuff. I suppose you could then also program in the times into the timer as a backup to have an alarm go off, but I've yet to miss an addition in dozens and dozens of brews so for me it's just extra work that doesn't result in extra value.

YMMV of course! There are many ways to make beer, everyone likes to brew differently...

UPDATE: Was talking to someone using this new timer last week and
there was one issue about the timer that they did not like and were going to contact Auber about: You can not set the number of events to less than 2.

Kal

I have been convinced by those who have asserted that a portable timer (kitchen timer, phone app, etc.) is more useful, as it allows one to leave the vicinity of the boil kettle. Indeed, that is what I use now when I brew on propane. Hence, I have dropped the timer from my control panel plan. Another personal preference, but something to consider. :)

All very good points. I think this particular model needs a few tweaks before it makes sense as a brewing timer. I'd also like it to have the ability to go past 250 minutes (for non-brewing applications) and be able to count both up and down.

I realize that a simple kitchen timer will do the trick but I also see value in having a timer in the panel. Plus you can't discount the bling factor! :cool:

I also gave Auber feedback on this timer while it was being developed. I've only brewed with it once so far but really like it.

I have that timer in my panel. I have brewed 10 times with it and have yet to setup hop addition alarms. I am not making the same beer all the time so my additions, obviously, change & as KAL said I am usually next to brew kettle cleaning MLT. No additions missed to date.

I also gave Auber feedback on this timer while it was being developed. I've only brewed with it once so far but really like it.

cheez - I saw that you have two timers in your panel. Are they both JSL-73A or is one of them JSL-71? I was thinking of just going with one of each. If I use the 73 for hop additions, great. If not, it's only a couple bucks more and will still work as a boil timer just fine.

cheez - I saw that you have two timers in your panel. Are they both JSL-73A or is one of them JSL-71? I was thinking of just going with one of each. If I use the 73 for hop additions, great. If not, it's only a couple bucks more and will still work as a boil timer just fine.

I originally had two -71's and now I have one of each. I use the -73 for additions and use the -71 for mash time or for back-to-back batches.

If you were only getting one timer, I would recommend the -73. If going with two, I would recommend one of each or two -73's.

I have the 73, I'm still building so I haven't used it yet. How do you program it for mash? I assume you just set one event (so it will signal alarm) for 60min (or whatever you mash) and set the timer for the same, or do you have to have more than one event?

UPDATE: I've used it a couple of times, and it works well, I haven't really used the hop schedule much. It does match my Auber PIDs though.

I have the 73, I'm still building so I haven't used it yet. How do you program it for mash? I assume you just set one event (so it will signal alarm) for 60min (or whatever you mash) and set the timer for the same, or do you have to have more than one event?

Just set it for one event at 60 minutes

Back