Auber Instruments BIAB controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1MadScientist

Reaction score
I have had my controller for a year now and just love it. They give good customer support.

I just want ya'll to know that they are now making this unit. The link is; http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=539

19382605444_eb7a24a312_z.jpg

You would have to be out of your mind to buy a $785 control panel.It's 2 of there PID's and some buttons.I have there 2352 and temp probe but I would never buy that complete panel.Would Cost WAAAAY less to build using there parts let alone even cheaper with aftermarket

Of course it's cheaper to build your own, labor is the major part of almost any item. But for complete panels this looks pretty nice.

You would have to be out of your mind to buy a $785 control panel.It's 2 of there PID's and some buttons.I have there 2352 and temp probe but I would never buy that complete panel.Would Cost WAAAAY less to build using there parts let alone even cheaper with aftermarket

Theres only one pid in that panel... It controls one element and two on off 120v outlets for pumps... the other device is a timer.. its about $250-300 in hardware at aubers retail cost.

As im often reminded, not everyone wants / can build their own, I have to believe its well built. and certainly better built than another popular pricey choice I wont get into.

It looks nice..I got the exact same enclosure(they had it on special as an 'overstock') and necessary parts to do a 1 element 1 pump setup..Bought a PID and timer and a few other items(plugs and temp probe) with the enclosure and my total at Aubers was right at 300..Then I ordered the DIY kit from Electric Brewing Supply for 100..So, so far total cost on my panel is a bit over 400..Which for the price they want is about right, 50% labor to wire things up..

Labor price in most industries is $65/hr easy. 3hrs to wire a panel up like that doesn't sound far fetched. You guys always forget they're running a business and not a DIY hobby. This isn't for the DIY customer. Not saying I'd buy it, but it doesnt look bad at all.

Never understand why anything electrical gets **** on nonstop and then Blichmann products sell for 3x competition all day no problem.

It looks nice..I got the exact same enclosure(they had it on special as an 'overstock') and necessary parts to do a 1 element 1 pump setup..Bought a PID and timer and a few other items(plugs and temp probe) with the enclosure and my total at Aubers was right at 300..Then I ordered the DIY kit from Electric Brewing Supply for 100..So, so far total cost on my panel is a bit over 400..Which for the price they want is about right, 50% labor to wire things up..

That was smart !

Let us know how your build goes.

That assumes you know what you are doing. And that you enjoy shopping for all the parts on your own. And enjoy waiting on the parts. And enjoy putting it all together. And enjoy all the time that the previous steps take.

To me that price is a bargain.

That assumes you know what you are doing. And that you enjoy shopping for all the parts on your own. And enjoy waiting on the parts. And enjoy putting it all together. And enjoy all the time that the previous steps take.

To me that price is a bargain.
I do enjoy all those things.I had never heard of a pid or an ssr when I first started looking into electric.Thanks to the good people here I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers.Im an avid DIYer.I take pride in saying I did it myself..To those who buy off the shelf,more power to ya

I do enjoy all those things.I had never heard of a pid or an ssr when I first started looking into electric.Thanks to the good people here I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers.Im an avid DIYer.I take pride in saying I did it myself..To those who buy off the shelf,more power to ya

I should say that if I win the lottery or eventually when I retire I think it would be fun to try and learn how to do electronic projects like this, or work my way up to it. But since I'm lucky if I can squeeze in time for brewing I can't see adding another interest.

I studied for a while before deciding not to build my own eBIAB controller panel. I just couldn't get to a point where I was comfortable enough to not risk killing myself. Ended up buying one from High Gravity Brewing. Perhaps not the best workmanship but it's worked flawlessly for a year and they have excellent support. That Auber controller is sweet. This is the first I have seen it. Very nice.

I see a switch for two pumps. Why do you need/want two pumps for eBIAB? What am I missing by not having a second pump myself?

I ordered mine with a second switched outlet simply because it was a nominal adder ($25) to a significant investment. It can really be used to power anything. If I ever wanted to use the controller for something different I have some flexibility.

Auber's retail cost is $550 all the parts, $200 for the build itself and $35 for shipping.

I agree, it is very pricey.

$550 for hardware! From what I see the enclosure must be like $200 because all I see is 1 $45 pid, $40 timer, $5 alarm and $50 switches& indicators plus a $15 ssr and maybe a contractor inside for $15 than the cable and outlets which would come in well under $100 total...

of course if one where to buy all of the components on amazon or ebay your looking at $125-$200 ... depending on type of connectors used
I built my 3 pid/element control panel below for under $300 so I dont see how its possible that a single element controller could even be soo much in hardware..

control pnael resized.jpg

Yes likely $200 an hr or so to assemble in this case. I was commenting on the post stating its $550 in parts because It does not appear that way for what it is. I'm not discouraging anyone from anything.. Just pointing out that the assumptions are not what they seem to be meaning $800 for a single pid controller is more than a couple hundred over cost.

Here is the link that has the parts cost breakdown; http://auberins.com/images/Manual/BIAB_Part_List.pdf

Retail parts cost is $572.71 + $200 labor for the build.
I stand corrected... I was way off base on this one. If I hadnt seen it with my own eyes I wouldnt believe you could use so many components on a single element biab controller.... I wasnt aware they had circuit breakers and such inside either... There's hundreds more in hardware in that panel then the HG equivalent...... certainly the better buy between the 2. And yeah $155 for that little enclosure... I wasnt too far off...

Which is why after much contemplating, I just purchased one already built. Still so glad I did. Works like a champ.

Here is the link that has the parts cost breakdown; http://auberins.com/images/Manual/BIAB_Part_List.pdf

Retail parts cost is $572.71 + $200 labor for the build.

One factor often overlooked by some is tool costs. Kal did an excellent job documenting all the various bits you need along the way. Some are only a few bucks but some are a bit more. If you factor in the tools you don't have to buy and store this drives the cost for labor down more. Plus, unless you plan on constantly tinkering with it, those tools will just take up space when you are done. I own a dremmel but I haven't used it in years and the only reason I have a drill is to run my mill.

I stubbled on this the other day, the enclosure with all the cutouts. That wasn't available last year. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=501

That's pretty cool.

They also have one for the Kal clone.

For those interested, they're offering a DIY kit version of this panel now.

$489 - for the kit

*cheers*

That's less than "their cost" according to earlier breakdowns.. No ones really brought up that theres a large difference in their actual costs and their retail prices. I have noticed Auberins prices have been coming down in the last year of so on a lot of stuff making them more competitive with all the new distributors

My eBIAB experience is that less is absolutely more. I really like the simplicity of this unit from Auber:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=533

The drawback is the 20A limit (4800w), but that may not be a deal breaker for your batch size.

Between those two systems I honestly think the second cut-out and timer is a bit of a waste on the Auber setup. On top of that, you will wish you'd given E-Brew-Supply the extra $75 when it comes time to strip-crimp-solder all of the internals.

If it was my money I would ask E-Brew if they would knock $20-30 off the price of their kit and ship it with no PID. Then buy the DSPR from Auber and drop it in the panel.

Back