Attenutation in wine/cider vs beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddprofessor

Reaction score
So I've seen several people say stuff like "S-04 will attenuate 75%" or something like that. I understand what they mean. My question is are these attributes only applicable to beer? If using an ale yeast in cider for example, does the apparent attenuation change since the fermentables are fruit sugars instead maltose (and whatever other carbohydrates are in wort).

Most (all?) ale yeasts will eat through cider until it is completely dry, or until the environment becomes too alcoholic for them to thrive (if you've added a lot of sugars to the cider).

attenuation is attenuation. readings will be different with temps, but 1.109 down to 1.024 is the same whether it be a wine or an iipa

attenuation is attenuation. readings will be different with temps, but 1.109 down to 1.024 is the same whether it be a wine or an iipa

Correct. Except you will get a higher apparent attenuation with simple sugars. Real attenuation is different, of course, but usually we're talking about apparent attenuation. In a beer, you could get something like 80% or so max for apparent attenuation. But in in a cider or wine, you could easily get a figure like 110% apparent attenuation, since it's more simple sugars.

Thanks for the replies. I expected my cider to get down to close to 0.990 since that's what the last batch did (with Notty) but was just wondering about the apparent attenuation percentages thrown around. I have some cider/apple wine that I added brown sugar to get it up to 1.070. It's at 1.011 now, still small bubbles, and I'm just impatient to bottle as I need the carboy for my next batch.

Back