Attenuation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
So I've had three high F.G.'s in a row.

The first two were partial mash kits that finished about 6 points too high and tasted terribly malty! (yeast was white labs with starters)

The third was my first A.G. and like a lot of others I used Ed Wort's H.P.A. It finished at 1.014. Not as bad as the other two but still has that sweet malty taste that I really don't want. (yeast was nottingham)

My question is this...Is it a lack of good aeration? I'm using the shake the carboy method. Would oxygenating better help with attenuation?

Any advice would be appreciated!

p.s. my first two batches were extract kits with steeping grains and attenuated just fine.

What temps are you mashing @? 1.014 should not taste sweet---you need to balance it out better with the hops, I'm thinking. Try a higher IBU. Also, cut down on the specialty grains, especially crystal and dextrin malts. Lastly, oxygenate. Get an oxygenation kit that hooks up to the red oxygen cylinders from the hardware store. The one that Williams Brewing makes is the best because it has a cane that extends to the bottom of the wort.

Back