Attenuation and/or bottle carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kang

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just got the score sheet back from my first ever competition. It was a roggenbier and I ended up at 15/50 points. Considering the difficulty of a 50% rye bill, it being my third all-grain ever, and that I had to transfer it all to colanders to collect the wort after a nasty stuck sparge (grains plugged the out-flow pipe just past the bend where nothing I had could reach, blowing didn't help), I'm not (terribly) disappointed. (just a little).

The feedback is also super helpful, even if a bit humbling. I'm going to take the categories one at at time, as suggested by the owner of my LHBS. This deals possibly with attenuation as well as bottle carbing, so I wasn't sure where to put this thread.

For the record, I used WY3068 and fermented/bucket conditioned 2 weeks in the mid 60s. I had an OG of 1.052, and a FG of 1.012, so right on the money according to BeerSmith. Used a starter even though I probably didn't need to.

I bottle conditioned with ~6 ounces of dextrose for 3 gallons of beer on heating mats at 78 for two weeks. I was keeping a careful eye because I was worried that was approaching bottle bomb territory. It was put in the fridge for two weeks as well.

The problem -- and I noticed this also happened to a partial-grain Gratzer and a scotch ale -- is that I've been getting zero head, or just a faint layer of bubbles. I'm not sure why. I've eliminated the usual suspect of soap.

The comments are "Full mouthfeel, under attenuated, no carbonation," "no carbonation, very flat," "appearance of sediment on bottle, bottle may mean yeast did not attenuate," and "hard to judge this one. Fermentation appears to be incomplete or bottle conditioning did not happen."

I expected those, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When I pour it, there are a noticeable amount of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass. I tried a couple early bottles and got significant carbonic acid bite, so there's definitely CO2, along with that hiss when you open it, and the mist in the head space.

Hi Kang. A score of 15 usually means something is seriously wrong - I almost never give scores that low unless the beer is badly infected by wild yeast or bacteria or there is some other flaw that makes the beer undrinkable.

They should not have given you this score because of a carbonation issue.

Can you share with us the judges' ranks and the full transcript of their Overall comments, the bottom section of the scoresheet? Also, did they check any boxes on the side?

Hi Kang. A score of 15 usually means something is seriously wrong - I almost never give scores that low unless the beer is badly infected by wild yeast or bacteria or there is some other flaw that makes the beer undrinkable.

They should not have given you this score because of a carbonation issue.

Can you share with us the judges' ranks and the full transcript of their Overall comments, the bottom section of the scoresheet? Also, did they check any boxes on the side?

Apologies for no photocopy image, but I'm not at work where we have a scanner that isn't a PITA to use. My annotations are in brackets. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the judging, and I'm solely focusing on one specific issue to fix. Once I do that, I'll move onto the next one, and so on. So I'm curious if there's more to bottle conditioning than the basic "add sugar at beginning of racking to bottling bucket, keep bottles very warm for 2 weeks minimum."

First review: Certified Rank, no boxes on the side marked.

Aroma: 4/12 - Dark fruit, raisin, sweet candy aroma. No yeast aromas associated with style. [Likely this comes from the 3% Special B I used]

Appearance 2/3 - Dark Copper/Amber color, no head, legs stick to glass.

Flavor 6/20 - Sweet wort flavor, no real hop presence, rye is overpowered by candy sweetness. [I lightly hopped this, used around 1.75oz of Tettnanger across the board]

Mouthfeel 2/5 - Full mouthfeel, under attenuated, no carbonation

Overall impression 3/10 - Hard to judge this one. Fermentation appears to be incomplete or bottle conditioning did not happen. Watch your pitch rates and fermentation.

17/50

Second Review: No rank identified.

Aroma 4/12 - Sugar sweet, almost a weak honey/candy smell

Appearance 1/3 - Color is good, no carbonation or head. Thin, heavy layer of sediment on bottle bottom. [Not sure if the last bit is good or bad in his eyes...]

Flavor 5/20 - Very harsh sweet and grainy on the back end, rye does come across.

Mouthfeel 2/5 - No carbonation, very flat

Overall impression 2/10 - Appearance of kaed[sp?] sediment on bottle, bottle may mean yeast did not attenuate.

14/50

I happen to know that Best of Show was a rye saison that got 40/50 points.

Their comments arent very helpful and don't justify the scores they gave this beer. Maybe the sweet wort comment means that he thinks the fermentation was really flawed, but if you ended with a FG of 1.012 that seems unlikely. Not a great example of filling out a scoresheet, in my opinion.

Regarding bottle conditioning, use the proper amount of sugar solution and keeping the bottles in the 70s is whats required, in addition to viable yeast in the beer. If your yeast pooped out early, it might not have been viable enough for the bottle carbing.

Alright, makes sense. Do you have a preferred temp? I've been keeping them at 70 exactly, do you do a bit higher?

Latest posts

Back