Attempted Style, missed mark, where am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am reaching in the dark on this and not sure where to go. I am trying to find out what style I made.

I made a Helles Bock (4C) a while back and decided that I wanted to remake it. I didn't have enough hops, so I did a little experiment and made something amazing, but it isn't a Helles Bock anymore...I don't think.

According to BJCP.org:

4C. Helles Bock
Overall Impression

A relatively pale, strong, malty German lager beer with a nicely attenuated finish that enhances drinkability. The hop character is generally more apparent than in other bocks.

Appearance
Deep gold to light amber in color. Bright to clear clarity. Large, creamy, persistent, white head.

Aroma
Moderate to strong grainy-sweet malt aroma, often with a lightly toasted quality and low Maillard products. Moderately-low to no hop aroma, often with a spicy, herbal, or floral quality. Clean fermentation profile. Fruity esters should be low to none. Very light alcohol may be noticeable. May have a light DMS aroma.

Flavor
Moderately to moderately strong grainy-sweet malt flavor dominates with some toasty notes and/or Maillard products providing added interest. Little to no caramel flavors. May have a light DMS flavor. Moderate to no hop flavor (spicy, herbal, floral, peppery). Moderate hop bitterness (more so in the balance than in other bocks). Clean fermentation profile. Well-attenuated, not cloying, with a moderately-dry finish that may taste of both malt and hops.

The new version of beer seems more citrus. The only difference is the Centennial addition and less Sterling.

What did I make? This is more for my own knowledge than anything. I am remaking this new beer!

Thanks!

Back