Attacking a high fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akajdg

Reaction score
I have read through the majority of the posts on here and got some valuable information however I'm stuck on a plan of action.

My Pale Ale, brewed on 2/25 with WLP001 was pitched at 70 degrees around 7PM that night. Temps on the bucket had been pretty consistent however as expected during fermentation it jumped to about 80. I'd say I'm going on about 16 hours at these high temps. I'm curious if I should just let it be, OR put it in the fridge (which is temp controlled) and allow the temps to come down for the remainder of the fermentation? I know I can expect some potential off flavors, I'm just trying to salvage the amount I might experience if possible by cooling it ASAP.

Thanks!

I'd cool it down, but you have to be careful to avoid shocking the yeast. Cooling it down more than 5-10F in a day can shock the yeast and stunt their growth, leading to higher than expected FGs or stuck fermentations. There's not much you can do about the potential for off flavors, as most of this occurs in the first 2/3 of fermentation. But that doesn't mean that the beer will be undrinkable. Time may mellow these off flavors that get created.

I'd cool it down, but you have to be careful to avoid shocking the yeast. Cooling it down more than 5-10F in a day can shock the yeast and stunt their growth, leading to higher than expected FGs or stuck fermentations. There's not much you can do about the potential for off flavors, as most of this occurs in the first 2/3 of fermentation. But that doesn't mean that the beer will be undrinkable. Time may mellow these off flavors that get created.

I went ahead and set my fridge temp to 60. After moving the primary in there and checking each hour the temp had started to settle at 74, and by this morning was at 68/70 and still bubbling away. Thanks for the reply, I'll still give this beer an extra week to do its thing and will reply back with the results.

Back